Controversial opinions on metal

Oh yes, the supreme authority, Dani Filth must not be ignored. :erk:
We'll, he's right. Just becuase COF apes Sabbat (UK) and latter-day Bathory doesn't make them black metal.

^What Norwegian black metal bands are worse than Dimmu Borgir?
Troll, Old Man's Child, Covenant. Ironically, all these bands feature Dimmu alumni. Troll and Covenant are the only ones I would actually classify as bad, however.

I also really like Nexus Polaris by Covenant.

As for that comment about black metal bands being worse than Dimmu, I was making a semi-serious remark about the fact that there are untold numbers of black metal bands in Norway (of which we've never heard) that are likely worse than Dimmu Borgir.

"Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" is the only song I can even remember from Death Cult Armageddon. I gave that album to my cousin years ago.
That's the one I was thinking of.

VREDESBYYYYYYYYYYRD!!!!!!!!
Just listened to this one. It's actually pretty good as well, but I like Progenies more. Maybe I should give this album another chance...and maybe I should just listen to any of the hundreds of albums I own that I know to be awesome, or to one from the stack of yet-unheard albums on my desk which I strongly suspect to be awesome...yeah, I'll probably do that.

Cradle of Filth has never been a black metal band (and this is according to the band members themselves).
Cruelty And The Beast is totally fucking black metal. This is like Motorhead saying they're "just rock'n'roll."

That's the one I was thinking of.

Just listened to this one. It's actually pretty good as well, but I like Progenies more. Maybe I should give this album another chance...and maybe I should just listen to any of the hundreds of albums I own that I know to be awesome, or to one from the stack of yet-unheard albums on my desk which I strongly suspect to be awesome...yeah, I'll probably do that.

Cruelty And The Beast is totally fucking black metal. This is like Motorhead saying they're "just rock'n'roll."

DCA is an album that took me forever to like... and honestly I still don't find it great, just good. I think my fav is Unorthodox Manifesto, my drummer friend and I used to play that song quite a bit.
I'd defintely say CoF's early shit is a black metal/goth bybrid. Whether or not they are true black metal is not the point, there are obvious black metal elements throughout every song.

So just curious, what's a good COF album to start with? I've ignored the band completely due to bad rep. I don't have a problem with goth elements at all. I love Tristania, for instance.

Dusk..and Her Embrace

and JGMetalhead why bother posting if you have nothing to suggest?

Bah... Why would I suggest anything related to Cradle Of Filfth. Well... you can probly search Metal Archives for "Gothic Black Metal" but the only band that comes to mind on that particular search list would be "Trail Of Tears".

I don't know any good COF albums to start with. Theres just so many better bands out there...
Quite possibly there are. I've just been in the mood for some trendy stuff lately:p:
And if you know any better bands that adhere to the COF/Dimmu formula, don't hesitate to recommend. I know Troll, Old Man's Child and Covenant.

So just curious, what's a good COF album to start with? I've ignored the band completely due to bad rep. I don't have a problem with goth elements at all. I love Tristania, for instance.

1. Dusk and her embrace
2. Crueltyand the beast
3. Vempire

I havent heard the other early stuff but most of the releases after "cruelty" but they lost me with the Midian album (which does have strong points but doesnt work throughout the whole album for me).

I personally prefer the not sraight thrash stuff but the stuff that incorporates more heavy metal into it as well - "peace sells", "ride the lightning" and "among the living". The kind of 2nd breath from the thrash bands of the first wave is the stuff I like the best in the genre.