Controversial opinions on metal

AOM, yes. BATS, no. I still find BATS overrated. Too many subpar songs and something about the flow bothers me. AOM's more straightforward approach hits the spot for me.

AOM, yes. BATS, no. I still find BATS overrated. Too many subpar songs and something about the flow bothers me. AOM's more straightforward approach hits the spot for me.
Awhile back, I though BATS was good, but not excellent, but sometime in September, I listened to it randomly, and it really kicked me in the ass so far that I was vomiting all day.

Unquestionable Presence is pretty overrated. The songs just don't flow at all; there are too many distracting micro-elements in Atheist's sound.For an album that only clocks at 30 minutes, it seems like an hour-long one I should probably downrate it; I was quite wowed by the gazillion of riffs per minute at one time, but now it sounds pretty jarring.

Unquestionable Presence is pretty overrated. The songs just don't flow at all; there are too many distracting micro-elements in Atheist's sound.For an album that only clocks at 30 minutes, it seems like an hour-long one I should probably downrate it; I was quite wowed by the gazillion of riffs per minute at one time, but now it sounds pretty jarring.
Piece Of Time was way better.

I'd like people other than Mort to refute this

Whatever, even The Karelian Isthmus is better than Nespithe. I'd put the Demilich album in the bottom half of my top 20 (at best). I guess I'm biased, though, since I have literally masturbated to the sweet sounds of Amorphis's death metal recordings.

Yeah.

Well, for one. the drumming on The Karelian Isthmus is ambient, since the music is reinforced by a steady beat. Nespithe, on the other hand, is all over the place. Can't contest with the quality of the riffs, though. I just wish Demilich's music were more contained and compact. Erratic drumming tends to bore me.

I thought the schizophrenic nature of Unquestionable Presense is what made it interesting. It's the same reason I like Using Sickness As A Hero by Human Remains and Calculating Infinity by Dillinger Escape plan. As for Atheist, I think Elements is my least favorite, but then again, I never really liked concept albums.

I liked Nespithe, it was pretty fucked up shit. Need to listen to it more. I don't get the appeal of The Karelian Isthmus at all though.

You're not really a death metal fan, so I can see why ;) It's good, great even at times, but Demilich is really on another level imo.

And yes you do need to listen to Nespithe more.

Nespithe is far superior to The Karelian Isthmus imo.

I have to disagree. The Karelian Isthmus is superior to Nespithe. To be fair, I am biased and have not listened to Nespithe much at all. Something about that album just doesn't sit right with me. I will probably grow into it though.

For me it's the jagged guitar tone, and the tempos that change too rapidly for them to register and get what exactly is going on there. Befuddling labyrintine passages galore. I don't have a very good attention span, though. Oh,, and the burping vocals. I don't like burptastic death metal