Controversial opinions on metal

Only because hes a mod and he actually said the beatles pretty much suck. Thats a great reason to make that a quote and put it in my sig. A GREAT reason.

Didn't he have "Andy's Bitch" as his sig for a while? I'm wondering if V5 secretly enjoys reading JGM's posts :lol:

Tom, with regards to your post, The Beach Boys are awesome. Mind you, a lot of those cult acts that are being glorified that I don't get may be simply because I've discovered them too late, so they sound dated to me or just not terribly interesting, either excessive in their treble or are drowned in overstated bass and distortion, things that kind of bug me these days.Or I lack the attention span to digest them. In fact, most OSDM albums sound to me these like nothing but a combination of drums, guitars and vocals, with walls of cascading riffs, and some subtle atmospherics here and there, but ultimately, nothing too special. And then, there are a few that simply amaze me that manage to stand out as something completely singular,sprawling and organic. Eventually, it all comes down to personal preference, I guess.

I've been meaning to break out of this self-congratulatory circle-jerk of old school metal fans for a while, and am kinda envious of people who manage to go through dozens of albums per week, compiling top 50 lists of 2010 on the double. But I'm at work for most of the day, so I'm slow on the intake.:(

The Beach Boys are pretty boring IMO. The only reason I don't shun them completely is because Blind Guardian did a cover on them...

Tom, with regards to your post, The Beach Boys are awesome. Mind you, a lot of those cult acts that are being glorified that I don't get may be simply because I've discovered them too late, so they sound dated to me or just not terribly interesting, either excessive in their treble or are drowned in overstated bass and distortion, things that kind of bug me these days. In fact, most OSDM albums sound to me these like nothing but a combination of drums, guitars and vocals, with walls of cascading riffs, and some subtle atmospherics here and there, but ultimately, nothing too special. And then, there are a few that simply amaze me that manage to stand out as something completely singular,sprawling and organic. Eventually, it all comes down to personal preference, I guess.

I've been meaning to break out of this self-congratulatory circle-jerk of old school metal fans for a while, and am kinda envious of people who manage to go through dozens of albums per week, compiling top 50 lists of 2010 on the double. But I'm at work for most of the day, so I'm slow on the intake.:(

Jesus christ, I'm beginning to think you should probably just stop listening to metal.

Eventually, I guess I will. I dunno. We all will probably. Or maybe I'll just overcome my relative narrow-mindedness and start purchasing every new album that comes out and enjoy it for what it is, disregarding some mythical depth that I fail to find in many old-school albums as of late.

Fuck metal.

np: Birdman & Lil' Wayne - [Like Father, Like Son #03] Stuntin' Like My Daddy [219 kbps]

But honestly DB is more obnoxious about his non-metal and anti-metalisms than I am.

Totally agreee with you. Sometimes I annoy myself as well, thinking: "why the hell have I posted that? Who cares?" Whatever. What's been said cannot be taken back.

Because they're overrated and aren't that good at all?

And although they were inspiring, and alot of people claim them to be the "most" inspiring which is quite strange since they really aren't that great tbh, Theres other bands from back then that played the same style that are much better I believe, they would be the more proper inspiration to the artists of today, not the beatles. Even though the beatles have done everything they could possibly do which I respect, still they didn't do it in a way that they are widely noticed as a "GOOD" band by every existing being.

And don't ask me to list bands because I don't know ANYTHING about 60s garage rock music besides Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Kinks, and Blue Cheer (All whom rape The Beatles). And also, I'd love to hear more bands in the same style as The Beatles of which I would believe to be MUCH better.

Too bad that's all opinion. Just in my opinion, they fucking rule, and said opinion matters just as much as yours so I guess they come out pretty good overall.

Nah I was almost a poser once though. I would consider myself more close to a Hipster than a poser but neither.

And as I said, I've heard much better than the beatles, even beginning prog bands around at their time. I'm not saying I'm a fan of The Kinks, Strawberry Alarm Clock, or Blue Cheer. I actually really like Blue Cheer but I didn't really check out much of The Kinks or Strawberry alarm clock. What I heard from Strawberry was alright, Kinks are better but they don't hit me as completely amazing.

Edit: If it would make you happy though, I would consider myself a suck up at times and I also try to expand upon things with understanding. (Try to understand why people like certain things and question it and so forth).

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Far Away From the Sun are the pinnacle of Black Metal.

The first 2 Morbid Angel are almost faultless.

The Red in the Sky is Ours is probably the greatest Death Metal record.

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is easily the weakest of the classic early Norwegian Black Metal albums, though it is still great.

Ride the Lightning is truely great whereas Master of Puppets is mostly mediocre. I have always enjoyed the former, but was never able to get into the latter despite the very obvious similarities between the two.

Judas Priest >> Iron Maiden.