Controversial opinions on metal

I used to love some deathcore. It's catchy while being genuinely heavy, definetly a huge step up from the softer forms of metalcore. I don't listen to it at all anymore, but I'll dig those records out someday in the distant future and I'll most likely be impressed.

The reason I like Opeth's early albums is because of the production. I can't bloody stand smooth fucking production. I mean, if the songs are among the best songs ever, I can begrudgingly stand the smooth production. But that only applies to the top few of my favorite albums.

I accept the fact that the later Opeth albums are much better songwriting-wise. But for me they can't hold the smallest little candle to Morningrise & Orchid because the production on those first two is just so much more raw, so much harder, so much more live, so much more badass. I just hate smooth production for music of Opeth's style.

I used to love some deathcore. It's catchy while being genuinely heavy, definetly a huge step up from the softer forms of metalcore. I don't listen to it at all anymore, but I'll dig those records out someday in the distant future and I'll most likely be impressed.

I'd actually rather listen to pussy melodic metalcore than constant "8r00t4|" guitar chugging, which for the record, isn't heavy at all. It's just boring.

Most of what's made them pretty good in my eyes from Damnation (of course) and on is completely irrelevant to metal, so it's not a surprise that you wouldn't like them.

i like damnation, mildly. btw, just checking, are you trying to imply i'm notorious for only liking metal or something? do you just not pay attention to this forum at all?

Do enlighten me. I'm interested in hearing about the hundreds of bands that can kick Dismember in the ass.

A Canorous Quintet?
No?
OK then.:erk:

I sampled some of the new JFAC, I wasn't blown away but it definitely sounds alot better than their previous works.

Genesis isn't a great album, but it can at least be said that it's almost all death and very little 'core. "Martydom Unsealed" is a good song, though.

I'd actually rather listen to pussy melodic metalcore than constant "8r00t4|" guitar chugging, which for the record, isn't heavy at all. It's just boring.

Fair enough. If I only listened to metal than I'd probably like the pussy metalcore more than deathcore. But as things are, if I'm looking to listen to emotional, chorusey, melodic music then I'm going to circumvent metalcore entirely and go for some classic rock, grunge, alt-rock or pop. Likewise, I usually circumvent deathcore and go for death, thrash or black metal. But there's a whooooole lot more bands (and countless genres of music) on the melodic, chorusey side compared to a relatively select few genres and bands on the heavy side. So I find more use for deathcore than I do for metalcore. Different strokes.

CC are fun live. I like "Gore Obsessed" the best but I don't have all their albums.

Controversial, I liked In Flames' first single off "Come Clarity," the really poppy nu-metal one

Gore Obsessed is under-appreciated, in my opinion. Very nice album there.

No they are akin to Job For a Cowboy. Crappy metalcore/deathcore bands.

Except JFac is just barely tinged with hardcore at this point... more akin to Psycroptic than BMtH...

I'm guessing you have an anti core sentiment stuck up your ass anyway... And I'm sure you'll tell me about the single metalcore band you like... but I really dont care.

What do you want me to back up? That I think it's as bad as metalcore? I didn't say it sounds like metalcore. It said it's AS BAD AS metalcore.

The reading comprehension of some people amazes me.

Well, considering the similarities between certain Gothenburg bands and "-core" styles, as well as the documented shift from some Gothenburg melodeath to a more"-core" sound, I'd say my assumption was justified.

So stop being an asshole.

I too am no big fan of Cannibal Corpse. Their drummer is super boring and not very good. I also dislike Corpsegrinders vocals a lot of the time. They have some good stuff but for me they are one of those bands to use on a mixed tape (well when I used to do those) but never a full album band.

I very much appreciate Alex Websters playing and also the guitarplaying to some extent. I remember liking Websters solo trio thing more than Cannibal Corpse.

Except JFac is just barely tinged with hardcore at this point... more akin to Psycroptic than BMtH...

I'm guessing you have an anti core sentiment stuck up your ass anyway... And I'm sure you'll tell me about the single metalcore band you like... but I really dont care.

You're right. I do have an anti-core sentiment. Metalcore/Deathcore mainly. Just as bad as glam in the 80s and nu-metal in the 90s. Disgusting.