Controversial opinions on metal

I can't stand it when people say they hate everything -core, but then forget about 80 hardcore. They then go on with a bunch of lame modern death metal bands.

I feel like there is way too much music sometimes. And I also get the classics mixed up on occasion.

I don't get them mixed up, but there are way too many of these "classics" indeed. I feel like half of the ones I've heard I've only listened to just so I can be educated on said classics, and I've only covered half of the metal classics anyway. Feels like a real waste of time sometimes..

I do, but I feel like I have to hear a lot of stuff once, and even that gets to be too much work. I mean there are a lot of really influential bands I've honestly only ever listened to once. Entombed, Venom, and Mayhem are the really big ones I can think of.

I'm sure you've decided you hate a lot of music on one listen, tbh. Whether or not the thing someone is dissing is something you think is awesome currently is a definite deciding factor on this topic.

I.E. you wouldn't say this if you hated the music in question, thereby making you pretty obviously biased and your point kind of wacky

I still actually kinda like this song, because I associate with the greatest wrestling event ever, which dominated my early youth...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you've decided you hate a lot of music on one listen, tbh. Whether or not the thing someone is dissing is something you think is awesome currently is a definite deciding factor on this topic.

I.E. you wouldn't say this if you hated the music in question, thereby making you pretty obviously biased and your point kind of wacky

i used to do it a lot, and i dismissed a lot of amazing music in the process, which is why i feel so strongly about it these days. stuff needs time to settle, especially if it's outside a person's comfort zone. i'm fine with people prioritising, giving more chances to weird albums they don't really get as opposed to ones they feel like they've heard a million times before, etc. but dismissing stuff off hand is just dumb, plus sometimes i get the impression people have decided not to like some widely loved albums just to go against the grain.

No. I just know what I like and do not like. Metalcore and Deathcore fall under the "do not like". They'll be gone soon, just like nu-metal disappeared. Modern equivalent of Slipknot and Poison right there.

I actually doubt this. People keep saying that metalcore and deathcore will disappear, but I think that's just wishful thinking. Nu-metal was commercially successful. Some metalcore bands are achieving a certain amount of success through Hot Topic faggotry, but not on the level that nu-metal did. The vast majority of these bands are doing it for the love of their music, and as long as that is true it's not going to die out. What may die out is the scene kids.

The thing I've realized is that I often like bands, whether in metal or outside of it that have got interesting interplay between vocals and music, and/or those that use creative(but not overblown) drumming. I don't like to be confused by music, so often if something feels like too spastic or overblown, I may dismiss it off hand without giving it too much of a chance.