Controversial opinions on metal

I think the album is really good for the first part. It dips a bit in the 3/4 part but picks up nicely towars the end. What I did like about Glen was when he and Mustaine did the dueling solos because Mustaine always does these crazy things and he would counter with more melody.

On the subject I like "the world needs a hero" quite a bit but it took a good while to grow on me. It has some really good stuff on there. Risk is ok but not an album I listen to much.

I actually think Cryptic Writings is one of their most boring albums. To me its to long and drags. Its weird because I do appreciate individual songs but almost never find myself listening to the whole album.

Megadeth are the most astonishingly overrated thrash band I can think of. KimB and Peace Sells are the only two releases in their discography that are actually good in their entirety. Hanger 18 is absolutely godlike, but everything else on RiP blows. I don't understand why they are so loved. Their new album might actually be thrash, but what I've heard sounds incredibly uninspired and generic, lacking any real aggression. They are also incredibly boring live; they sound just like on album, which is good, but there's no energy coming from the band. Lomenzo tried, and Broderick seems at least happy to be there, but Dave is completely robotic and the shows are just really disappointing overall.

Megadeth are the most astonishingly overrated thrash band I can think of. RIP and Peace Sells are the only two releases in their discography that are actually good in their entirety. I don't understand why they are so loved. Their new album might actually be thrash, but what I've heard sounds incredibly uninspired and generic, lacking any real aggression. They are also incredibly boring live; they sound just like on album, which is good, but there's no energy coming from the band. Lomenzo tried, and Broderick seems at least happy to be there, but Dave is completely robotic and the shows are just really disappointing overall.

FYP

Megadeth never wrote an album of consistent excellence, but from the debut through Cryptic Writings they were always worthy releases overall. Risk-and-beyond Megadeth is pretty much worthless, though.

I don't really see how one could love Metallica and completely dislike Megadeth. AJFA and RTL are insurmountable though, so everything else sucks in comparison.
Not that I've listened to much thrash to come to this conclusion. I've been wanting to get Slayer's debut.

Megadeth are distinctly inferior to Metallica. People will of course whine and bitch that Metallica are currently much worse than Megadeth, but that's just degrees of crapitude. Metallica released 3 indisputable masterpieces and one near-masterpiece. Nothing Megadeth did even comes close. If you made an album out of Megadeth's best songs from their entire career it still wouldn't match any of Metallica's first four and I honestly like Load and Reload significantly more than anything after Peace Sells.

Reload?:erk:

Well, I dunno, it's been a while since I've listened to any of their post-Black Album material.Maybe it's not bad. I actually really like the self-titled despite it being rather overwrought.
Is Countdown to Extinction really that bad? I;ve bought it on a whim, but haven't had time to listen to it.

No, no, no don't ruin my expectations with negative hype. I wanna listen for myself.

And thrash is not solely about aggression.It can also have atmosphere. And wel, riffs of course.

The way WAIF feels about Megadeth, I feel that way about Metallica. I only like 2 of their albums (KeA and RtL) and the rest of it is just horrible garbage.

If you made an album out of Megadeth's best songs from their entire career it still wouldn't match any of Metallica's first four...

Last Rites/Loved to Deth
Wake Up Dead
The Conjuring
Peace Sells
Set the World Afire
Looking Down the Cross
Good Mourning/Black Friday
Hook in Mouth
My Last Words

Nah. Megadeth albums are all padded to some extent, but they have far too many awesome individual songs.

Megadeth are the most astonishingly overrated thrash band I can think of. KimB and Peace Sells are the only two releases in their discography that are actually good in their entirety. Hanger 18 is absolutely godlike, but everything else on RiP blows. I don't understand why they are so loved. Their new album might actually be thrash, but what I've heard sounds incredibly uninspired and generic, lacking any real aggression. They are also incredibly boring live; they sound just like on album, which is good, but there's no energy coming from the band. Lomenzo tried, and Broderick seems at least happy to be there, but Dave is completely robotic and the shows are just really disappointing overall.

i never really understood rust in peace, but i like early megadeth. not as much as metallica of course.

I pretty much agree. Megadeth had a couple awesome tracks per cd... and the rest was blah...

Ride the Lightning has no equal in thrash, imo.... certainly not anything by Megadeth. :erk: