Controversial opinions on metal

Is Van Drunen a guest on that album or something? I'm pretty sure he just did live sessions for Bolt Thrower.

Regardless, Van Drunen is one of the best death metal vocalists ever. I don't see how someone can listen to The Rack and not mimic his vocal style at maximum volume.

I still actually kinda like this song, because I associate with the greatest wrestling event ever, which dominated my early youth...

I kind of agree. I wouldnt go as far as to say I like the song but because of its association with WM17 I always get a nice feeling if I hear it. Same goes for that creed song they used in a lot of the "in memoriam" videos. In a hated genre I did like the "let the bodies hit the floor" song though. Cant remember who wrote it (Disturbed maybe?).

I do, but I feel like I have to hear a lot of stuff once, and even that gets to be too much work. I mean there are a lot of really influential bands I've honestly only ever listened to once. Entombed, Venom, and Mayhem are the really big ones I can think of.

I for one never understood the Entombed hype. I find them utterly boring most of the time. Can be cool for a party but I never ever sit down and listen to Entombed and if I do I enjoy a few songs but dont care for the rest.

As I said somewhere in an Asphyx shoutbox (whether a song, album or the band themselves), Van Drunen does best when he is singing (if we can call it that :lol:) about insanity, plagues or how shitty religion is; luckily, most of the songs he's written lyrics to (including early Pestilence) fell into these three categories, making his vocals incredibly apt.

RED EYES LEEEEERRRRIIIIIING

I have to concur with Ozzman, not a big fan of his vocals, whatever I like that Van Drunen has been on is pretty much in spite of the vocals.

Nah, that isn't true; Asphyx were still pretty awesome on their albums without him. Except God Cries which is decent but not really Asphyx-y at all.

Sure I am a fan-boy but I feel Megadeths "United Abominations" is criminally underrated. I know that alot of people here as well as elsewhere dislikes the album or thinks its mediocre. I think its really strong. I didnt really like Glen Drover live but on this album I appreciate his melodic soloing style quite alot. I also feel Daves vocal melody lines are quite excellent. Most songs have some nice catchy parts. Sure the "a tout le monde" re-recording wasnt necesarry but I dont feel like it takes away all that much from the album.

I'm a huge Megadeth fan. Seen em live 7x, own all their albums, etc. but god, UA sucked. Glen Drover is awful. Some of the songs on that album were extremely bad. It's only slightly better than Risk and The World Needs a Hero imo.