Controversial opinions on metal

Haha. It's all the funnier because of the way the visuals are unnaturally stretched in that vid. They all look like potatoes in wigs.
Gotta love costume dramas.:p

Overall, Maiden > Priest. I like both bands.
I like Obituary, but they are pretty fucking low-brow. Most of the other Tampa Bay bands were more interesting, in a compositional sense.
Deicide should have indeed quit after Once Upon The Cross.
Now for another one: grunge rock had a strong metal influence (especially with bands like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, and - if you want to call them grunge - The Melvins). Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting that grunge is metal, just that it is closely related to metal.

I didn't report him for airing controversial opinions.

I reported him for being a complete fucking tool that continued to instigate drama and bullshit, and even admitting he was here to troll.

Fair enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_it_all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condescension

Uhh... all over the place? Those are not metal riffs, neither in composition nor atmosphere.

Looks like I need to re-evaluate what constitutes a "rock riff" then. :loco: Do you consider Pantera, Machine Head or Lamb of God to be metal? How the fuck is that track any less metal than those bands?

Not to mention, this brings me to the belief that you people really don't know how to argue. Even if that one song DID have metal riffs, even if it WAS a metal track... one song does not prove me wrong.

I could have picked any song off that album tbh, but that one seemed like a good example.

Now for another one: grunge rock had a strong metal influence (especially with bands like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, and - if you want to call them grunge - The Melvins). Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting that grunge is metal, just that it is closely related to metal.

I don't see how anyone could deny that. The core idea behind grunge was to put together punk attitude with metalesque guitar riffs and classic rock simplicity. Also seems worthy of noting that Metal Archives lists a bunch of grunge bands for reasons I can't comprehend.

Let's not forget Tad on your list, and Nirvana spent their first few years as an unabashed 'stoner metal' band. Lotta hate for Nirvana around here but Celtic Frost, Metallica & Slayer were some of Kurt's formative influences. Never the less, I personally wouldn't consider AIC, Tad, any of 'em metal bands. 'Cept for Melvins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obituary sucks.
Newer Death > Older Death
Older Deicide > Newer Deicide
Maiden > All Priest cept for Electric Eye
Whitechapel > New Wave of Thrash
Slam > All
Drone > All but Slam
Last Days of Humanity is the greatest goregrind band ever.

I have a controversial question...

If Slipknot had kept their original singer and never hooked up with Corey Taylor and become the angsty shit band they are now, would people have actually been able to stand them? :lol: Their first album is actually pretty amusing.

Deicide should have quite after the third album.

The Stench of Redemption is an awesome album fuck you D:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop-out

Does not negate my point.

Looks like I need to re-evaluate what constitutes a "rock riff" then. :loco: Do you consider Pantera, Machine Head or Lamb of God to be metal? How the fuck is that track any less metal than those bands?

But... unlike Slipknot, both have EXTENSIVE metal elements to complement their groove... every track both Pantera and Lamb of God have put out has been primarily metal, so flawed argument.

• Lamb of God is metalcore/thrash/groove. Both metalcore and thrash are subgenres of metal.
  • Pantera is thrash/groove. Thrash is a metal subgenre.
  • Slipknot is fucking rock with groove. With the OCCASIONAL metal element. Does that make them metal? FUCK no.

I could have picked any song off that album tbh, but that one seemed like a good example.

I have listened to Slipknot quite a bit. My friend is a big fan. But even he knows they're not metal man.

Come on man, you're really smart... you've said a LOT of shit I wholeheartedly support... but why the blatant disregard of logic here? :erk: