Controversial opinions on metal

@The Butt: Your taste doesn't become 'metal' to bands. Pantera was heavy metal until Cowboys (w/some hints of thrash?), then it went all groove. Lamb of God is just metalcore. nothing more, nothing less.

Slipknot can suck, but it plays some form of metal nowadays (groove maybe?). There's no way to call it (hard/heavy/brutal/wherever)rock now. I can't say it's less metal than the last Pantera or some Machine head albums. Damn, Hellyeah is considered 'metal' by some, why not Slipknot?

The black album is for Metallica what Vulgar Display of power is for Pantera. Slow, all groove with a weird attempt on changing his vocal style.

AJFa has the best flow with the best composition and harmony. The music flows without stops and needless interludes. It also has the best solos and riffs out of all Metallica's output, in my opinion,, but that's secondary, as far as I'm concerned.

It's because it's overproduced, which makes some of its elements too intrusive. Also, the guitar tone is jarring. Wahhh wahh wahh overload. Still a good album.

Controversial: The Black Album is Metallica's third best, behind MoP and RTL, in that order. Maybe tied with RTL, not sure but it's close.

My reasoning for this? Hetfield's vocals, plain and simple. He turned what could be rated a good heavy metal album and elevated it to greatness. I kind of wish he had concentrated on the vocals more in their earlier albums because they could have been fucking ridiculously good.

Ya I get that I'm on a little Metallica kick at the moment if you hadn't noticed, but I've always thought this. Who's with me?!!?

The black album I dont even consider a "good album" of Metallica's.

I agree SatansToeNail, when Hetfield starting singing is when things started going wrong...Horribly wrong...:lol:

i close my eyes, and i can see, the day we met. just one moment and i knew, you're my best friend, do anything... for you. we've gone so far, and done so much, and i feel, like we've always been together, right by my side, through thick and thin... you're the part of my life i'll always rememberer! the time has cooooome, it's for the best i know yeah, who couldve guessed that you and i... somehow someday... would have to say... goodbye...

goodbye pikachu.

You're joking right?

Not at all. Sound of Perserverance > all other Death albums.
Whitechapel > All these thrash bands trying to regain the old glory days of thrash.
I love slam at the moment, so for me its at the top of the metal hierarchy.
I love drone more then all other genres.

Also, the first few Obituary albums were so boring I couldn't sit through them. There's so many bands that deserve their accolade, like Convulse.

Not at all. Sound of Perserverance > all other Death albums.
Whitechapel > All these thrash bands trying to regain the old glory days of thrash.
I love slam at the moment, so for me its at the top of the metal hierarchy.
I love drone more then all other genres.

TSoP is probably death's worst...

What in the fuck does a deathcore band have to do with the new wave of thrash? Whitechapel's first album is awesome for what it is, but just using those two things in the same sentence is retarded.

Also, the first few Obituary albums were so boring I couldn't sit through them. There's so many bands that deserve their accolade, like Convulse.

Convulse's first full length was released after both Cause of Death and Slowly We Rot. Obituary was already well established before Convulse was even formed.

I also dont understand how anyone can actually enjoy drone.

TSoP is better than Human and ITP at least.

There is nothing wrong with Hetfield's singing voice. Nothing Else Matters is a pretty yawn worthy song though, never particularly liked it.