Controversial opinions on metal

I would agree with the latter and disagree with the former. Sabbath always stuck with the hippie aesthetic - fringed jackets, goofy facial hair, and oversized Christian religious emblems.
Image is irrelevant. And even if it were, Sabbath was still had the darkest theme going on in the very early 70's (along with Alice Cooper).

As for their sound, it was an occasionally happy accident, rather than a consistent and deliberate application of a more focused set of ideas.

There's not a single "happy" song on Paranoid, which came out years before Rocka Rolla.

But even their "metal" songs tended to veer off into other styles and genres in parts.

So did Priest and most other early metal bands.

It's possible Opeth might be a metal band, but they ain't much of a metal band.

Their heavy parts are undeniably metal. Progressive metal, that is.

The vast majority of it placed on albums released long after the band's archetype-shaping and genre-defining classics, or on the band's first album, which was a definite work in progress (and included several cuts whose origins go back to '72 or so).

This pretty much contradicts your argument that Priest was the first "consistently" metal band.

Besides, Paranoid, the first "consistently metal album" came out in 1970, preceding Priest's first recordings by two years.

I admire your effort to defend your perspective, but the fact is you're plain wrong. Now I'm being nice to you because others would come in here and make you wish you've never been born.

new and stupid =/= troll.

I'm aware of the source, and even that you were attempting to tell a joke. The problem is that the joke you essayed was the sort of preciously and precociously twee self-awareness that is only funny to people who think humor was invented by The Daily Show and spread from there to Scrubs, The Office, Arrested Development, and, of course, The Colbert Report

My mistake, I thought you weren't "knocking me." Thanks for the critique, in the future I will try and emulate your hilarious AIDS joke.

"Fringed jackets, goofy facial hair, and oversized Christian religious emblems" pretty well describes the trad doom aesthetic. "Gay bikers from hell" is more of a thrash/NWBHM thing, and obviously BM has it's own special little style going on- there isn't one overarching metal dress code. Trying to define a band's genre by their clothes is ridiculous anyway.

Seriously, though, kudos for sticking by your guns, but you should stop now.

"Fringed jackets, goofy facial hair, and oversized Christian religious emblems" pretty well describes the trad doom aesthetic. "Gay bikers from hell" is more of a thrash/NWBHM thing, and obviously BM has it's own special little style going on- there isn't one overarching metal dress code. Trying to define a band's genre by their clothes is ridiculous anyway.

LOLOLOLOL

I wouldn't say dude is a troll though. As for the VERRRY first metal band... Dumb argument. No way anyone here will be able to 100% tell who the first metal band. As for the first metal band to gain real success & notoriety, that's probably Sabbath.

He REALLY hates 50 Cent, and all mainstream hip-hop as well, but something about 50 Cent really grinds his gears.

He could beat up everyone on this forum in real life because apparently anyone who flames him unprovoked is an 5'8" 80-pound weakling that only uses the internet to feel like a tough guy. He on the other hand is a "gym rat" with mega awesome superior fighting skills.
I never claimed to be the biggest toughest person on this forum. I guess I rip on 50 Cent because he represents all that is wrong with modern popular music; the lowest common demoninator.

Ugh. I hope this is the last time someone elaborated on Dodens' post. I bet if I took a poll to see who wanted me banned, more than half of everyone would say yes.

Oooh! Oooh! I've got a controversial opinion on metal! OooH! Oooh1 Pick me! PICK ME!

Metal is just music. Aspirations to art are meaningless.

*runs and hides again*

So, what is the goal of 'art', then? Is it to inspire or 'move' the individual? Is it supposed to express some sort of emotion through either the artists or the viewer?

I'm trying to follow what you're trying to convey

Music is not intrinsically artistic; this seems intuitive, however it's difficult to elaborate much without a solid foundation as to what constitutes art. I generally view art as something of which, first of all, it at least makes sense to ask what it's about. I don't think, for example, that anybody would ask what elevator music is about, because it's solely a functional product. Furthermore, a great deal of usage of the term "Art" and "Arts" and its variations tends to lean more toward a charitable usage, such as when we say "the culinary arts." It is not an art; it is a talent, it is a craft, it is a skill, but it is not an art. This is not to diminish it, but rather to classify it in the proper order.