Controversial opinions on metal

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Black Sabbath has always been pure metal ever since the they wrote the first track to their first album.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Black Sabbath has always been pure metal ever since the they wrote the first track to their first album.

Yeah, and for every "Black Sabbath" or "Hand of Doom" there's a "Solitude" or "The Wizard." I'm not knocking their importance, but the first band to put together the entire package - sound, imagery, visual aesthetic - and put it together consistently and with malice aforethought was Judas Priest, not Sabbath. Let's not forget that while Black Sabbath looked - and thought - like burned out hippies, Judas Priest looked like Satanic bikers and sang about genocide and Jack the fuckin' Ripper.

Yeah, and for every "Black Sabbath" or "Hand of Doom" there's a "Solitude" or "The Wizard." I'm not knocking their importance, but the first band to put together the entire package - sound, imagery, visual aesthetic - and put it together consistently and with malice aforethought was Judas Priest, not Sabbath. Let's not forget that while Black Sabbath looked - and thought - like burned out hippies, Judas Priest looked like Satanic bikers and sang about genocide and Jack the fuckin' Ripper.

Lyrical content and visual aesthetic =/= metal. They have nothing to do with defining metal, just like they have nothing to do with defining any other genre. Try again.

Lyrical content and visual aesthetic =/= metal. They have nothing to do with defining metal, just like they have nothing to do with defining any other genre. Try again.

Really? Then why do lyrical stances and visual aesthetic form an important subtext for almost all contemporary genres? Where would New Wave be without the pompadour or Goth without the eyeliner? Would anyone take a hip hop artist seriously if he dressed like Garth Brooks and rapped about honky tonks? This is art, the whole package matters, not just the bits in isolation.

This answer makes it sound more like you're a fag wrapped inside a homo enfolded in the sticky embrace of a broken condom full of pure AIDS.

I'm not knockin' you man, but the internerd really could use a little less cleverness.

Uh, it's a goofily adapted quote from Churchill ("...it is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma") and obviously it was a joke...

By the way, Sabbath had plenty of "metal image" and played the first recognizably metal tunes. You can hardly argue that because they had some lighter songs they don't qualify as a metal band. Is Opeth not metal because they released Damnation? Besides, Priest played plenty of mild rock n' roll stuff.

Your first barrage of posts has been pretty consistently failworthy :erk:

so you are basing your whole argument on one live album?

No, I'm basing it on the whole of their early recorded output. What I'm not doing is confusing what the songs sound like with the limp production of Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin with what those same songs actually sound like.

check these priest tunes out:

winter retreat
run of the mill
caviar and meths
dreamer deceiver
prelude
epitaph
last rose of summer
here come the tears

they are really mellow songs. they are really good songs, i know, but hardly metal.

It's a goofily adapted quote from Churchill ("...it is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma") and obviously it was a joke.

I'm aware of the source, and even that you were attempting to tell a joke. The problem is that the joke you essayed was the sort of preciously and precociously twee self-awareness that is only funny to people who think humor was invented by The Daily Show and spread from there to Scrubs, The Office, Arrested Development, and, of course, The Colbert Report.

By the way, Sabbath had plenty of "metal image" and played the first recognizably metal tunes.

I would agree with the latter and disagree with the former. Sabbath always stuck with the hippie aesthetic - fringed jackets, goofy facial hair, and oversized Christian religious emblems. As for their sound, it was an occasionally happy accident, rather than a consistent and deliberate application of a more focused set of ideas.

You can hardly argue that because they had some lighter songs they don't qualify as a metal band.

But even their "metal" songs tended to veer off into other styles and genres in parts.

Is Opeth not metal because they released Damnation?

It's possible Opeth might be a metal band, but they ain't much of a metal band.

Besides, Priest played plenty of mild rock n' roll stuff.

The vast majority of it placed on albums released long after the band's archetype-shaping and genre-defining classics, or on the band's first album, which was a definite work in progress (and included several cuts whose origins go back to '72 or so).

Things Life Sucks never has to mention ever again because it's already accepted as a given:

He's German
He doesn't like jazz-influenced music
He doesn't like girly/relationship lyrics
He hates Led Zeppelin
He hates The Beatles
He's NOT gay!
He appreciates Black Sabbath's influences but thinks they're overrated
He would rather listen to Slipknot than Radiohead
He likes to find bands with black people in them

Feel free to add to the list, I'm off to school.

He REALLY hates 50 Cent, and all mainstream hip-hop as well, but something about 50 Cent really grinds his gears.

He could beat up everyone on this forum in real life because apparently anyone who flames him unprovoked is an 5'8" 80-pound weakling that only uses the internet to feel like a tough guy. He on the other hand is a "gym rat" with mega awesome superior fighting skills.

Life Sucks is a cool guy, and a forum veteran who carries more weight in value than the remainder of the crop of new fucksticks on this forum. FYI. IMO. :)

Sabbath > Priest

Maiden > both

*runs and hides*

Arguing about the first metal band is like arguing about who the first President of America was.

cricket.gif