Controversial opinions on metal

I'm not at all amused by Exhorders Slaughter In The Vatican, maybe two or three songs are good but the rest of the album is worth skipping. Maybe I should have listened first to Exhorder and then to Demolition Hammer as they are superior to Exhorder IMO.

Is there any Doctor Who themed metal out there? I'm thinking of starting a Doctor Who themed musical project (not necessarily metal). It needs to be done.

Is there any Doctor Who themed metal out there? I'm thinking of starting a Doctor Who themed musical project (not necessarily metal). It needs to be done.

There's a heap of metal Dr. Who covers on youtube. By far the best is Tim's from Lord/Dungeon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not at all amused by Exhorders Slaughter In The Vatican, maybe two or three songs are good but the rest of the album is worth skipping. Maybe I should have listened first to Exhorder and then to Demolition Hammer as they are superior to Exhorder IMO.

Not controversial. Most people would probably agree with you.

So you choose third rate black metal to be the only second wave black metal you listen to? Poor choice.

I never understood what was so great about Primordial.

Emperor takes a huge shit on most albums released by Mayhem. Mayhem got Deathcrush and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas which is the only great stuff they have released. Emperor is in a whole other league.

Primordial is just weak.

Maybe it's just because I'm sick of listening to it, but I don't really care for 2nd wave black metal anymore. I mean, I'll still listen to Emperor, but that's about it.

Pretty much exactly my opinion.

I agree that, despite personally liking Primordial, they are nowhere near the status of any of the aforementioned bands. I listen to Primordial a lot more than I do Mayhem though.

So you choose third rate black metal to be the only second wave black metal you listen to? Poor choice.

I never understood what was so great about Primordial.

This post reinforces why we don't speak. ;)

Personally it's because they don't actually write more than 2 focussed songs on the same album.

I don't see it this way. If their songs appear to wander, it's not because they don't know what to do in the context of the composition, but because they choose a technique that works more on a continuous vibe than progression. They don't build much upon an idea; instead, the instruments remain more or less static throughout the song (with a riff thrown in here and there for good measure), allowing for Alan's vocals to be the primary catalyst for moving the song to its conclusion. This can be boring to lots of people; but I think that Primordial is one of the few exceptions in metal where the vocals/lyrics can be said to be a significant, if not the primary, focus of the band.

The long, meandering instrumental sections are made tolerable by Alan's presence.