Controversial opinions on metal

Walkyier was damn awesome on History of a Time to Come, but no.

EDIT: And srsly guise, arguing between Hetfield and Araya? How petty. May as well argue between Hammett and King. As much as Metallica and Slayer were easily the most important, and also in the very top in terms of creativity, a lot of their individual musicians are probably in the bottom ~20% of the genre's first and second tier bands.

EDIT #2: I take that back, Hetfield was damn spiffy on all of Metallica's thrash albums. There's still a lot better though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also said married with kids vs single, pretty important aspect.

@Ozz: Halford is literally gay, so what's your point? You like Tardy so gtfo of this argument :p

@STN: Hell Awaits is a perfect example of him just shouting over the music. It sounds like absolute shit.

You have absolute shit taste in music.

Both are pretty awesome, but Walkyier is awesome because he fucking rules and Nardi is awesome because he's weird, so I'd go ahead and give Walkyier the nod. To to mention that Skyclad are fucking awesome and criminally under-appreciated.

Martin may have the annoying -ah thing, but at least he doesn't do really really bad attempts at screams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Araya is the best thrash vocalist. I thought that we established that a little further back in this thread.

Tom Araya is the best thrash vocalist. I thought that we established that a little further back in this thread.

As long as I can say Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, and Annihilator's vocals are all so bad I find the bands unlistenable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRQPlVf3K8

Martin may have the annoying -ah thing, but at least he doesn't do really really bad attempts at screams.

tbh the -ah thing doesn't really bother me at all, I just felt like bringing it up for trolling purposes (I already said that his vocals on History... are awesome). I don't see how Nardi's screams can be trivialized as mere attempts however, let alone really really bad ones. His shrieks alone make a significant part of what I love about Anacrusis. Like the "My darkest hour is now" shriek at the end of Present Tense's bridge; that's practically black metal worthy. Take the heights of Painkiller Chuck but remove the gayness in favor of a Scream Bloody Gore filthiness and you have Kenn Nardi.

Yeah. He has the perfect combination of coarse/sung vocals.

Wat? There are a bazillion thrash vocals that are both more coarse and can sing better. I thought we established Don Doty as an obvious example a little further back in this thread.

As long as I can say Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, and Annihilator's vocals are all so bad I find the bands unlistenable.

I can see why people would hate Schmier, but his 80's vocals were the most demented in the genre. I just wub him there. <3

EDIT: And srsly guise, arguing between Hetfield and Araya? How petty. May as well argue between Hammett and King. As much as Metallica and Slayer were easily the most important, and also in the very top in terms of creativity, a lot of their individual musicians are probably in the bottom ~20% of the genre's first and second tier bands.

lol wat-ah?

wat

Can't speak for Destruction and Annihilator, but Kreator and Sodom both have perfectly good vocals. I'm actually a big fan of Mille Petrozza's delivery, and Angelripper is solid. I understand most people will like them less, but I can't understand really hating them.

King is a horrible soloist and Ulrich is a terrible drummer, and everyone knows it, but I have to disagree with some of the other ones. Araya actually had a really good vocal range on the earlier albums, and Hanneman is a decent enough lead player. Also Charlie Benante is pretty awesome.

Overrated compared to what, each other?

For guitarists, virtually everyone in the first or second tiers. Exodus, Testament, Heathen, Metal Church, Forbidden, Destruction, Coroner, Annihilator, Kreator, etc etc. Araya is pretty weak compared to most other death/thrash singers (really, he went from poor NWOBHM-wannabe to "Hai, the Dr. Know vocalist sounds pretty kool" from debut to Haunting the Chapel), Mustaine objectively sucks, and Belladonna circa-Among the Living is as shitty and unemotional as "power/thrash" vocals can get.

And I don't want this to sound like a "Fuck teh Big 4, only kvlt is tr00" post because as I've stated Metallica and Slayer were definitely more important and innovative, which is where most things really count.

King is a horrible soloist and Ulrich is a terrible drummer, and everyone knows it, but I have to disagree with some of the other ones. Araya actually had a really good vocal range on the earlier albums, and Hanneman is a decent enough lead player. Also Charlie Benante is pretty awesome.

Being able to shout and do the occasional high-pitched scream does not great range equal. Unlike Don Doty, who could actually sing words (not just <Angel of Death>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH</Angel of Death>) in his highs.

EDIT: Which isn't to say that Don Doty ever displayed much range either, but he's an easy case of a very similar singer that simply takes Araya and one-ups him.

Ok Araya isn't the "best" vocalist, but what thrash vocalist is? I think his voice fits for Slayer and that's all that matters really.