Controversial opinions on metal

Aren't you due to be listening to a four minute chug fest?

@HamburgerBoy

I'm actually due to be going to bed. :(

Four minute chug fests (let's throw Helmet, Pantera, and Lamb of God into this category) >>> Slayer, though. Since I need something to put me to sleep I'll go listen to one of the second-side tracks of Hell Awaits or South of Heaven anyways.

I seem to recall HamburgerBoy praising the riffs on a Disturbed song a while back, so his opinions on Slayer aren't really worth spending much time on.

Slayer was pretty much untouchable in the 80's and early 90's. I agree that SNM has some very cheesy moments on it but overrall its still a great record with quite a few classics on it.

I don't understand the hate for Ulrich's drumming. I'm not saying he's a great drummer, but I never listen to a Metallica song and think "this would be good if the drumming wasn't so awful." I think it's just really popular to hate him because of the napster thing and the Some Kind Of Monster movie, but honestly he's a rather bland but perfectly solid drummer.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Lars will always be one of my favorite drummers because of Metallica's earlier albums. He's not flashy which evidently is offensive to some people in the metal world, but whatever. It was the subtle things he did that made me really like his drumming style.

I don't understand the hate for Ulrich's drumming. I'm not saying he's a great drummer, but I never listen to a Metallica song and think "this would be good if the drumming wasn't so awful." I think it's just really popular to hate him because of the napster thing and the Some Kind Of Monster movie, but honestly he's a rather bland but perfectly solid drummer.

It's probably because he admitted to editing the drum tracks on some earlier songs because he couldn't actually play them, and he's gotten to be pretty terrible in the last several years.

IMO, the strongest point of Metallica was their lyrical content and the way the music complemented it, not the other way around, while most bands write some riffs and then throw some meaningless/generic lyrics in along with it.

I'm pretty sure that was a rumor made up by Lars haters because of his recording techniques.

You could prove me wrong if you want though.

I'm not wasting time on Google to find his pretty well-known admission that he can't play "Dyer's Eve" and a few other songs.

You enjoy doing that don't you? Making claims and then never backing them up. I don't even give a shit if you're right or not, it's a bitch move to sit there and make claims about this and that and always refuse to support your comments. No one is ever goin to take you seriously if you keep this up.

I suppose that next you'll want me to post proof that Rob Halford is gay or that Randy Rhoads died in a plane accident. Established facts are established facts.

Copy and paste this into Google: "dyer's eve" "click track"

Have fun with all the search results. :)

That didn't actually turn up much of anything, but given his performance in recent years I'm willing to accept that Dyer's Eve may be fiddled with. In light of that, I now understand the hate.
That said, I don't give a shit. I only care about the sounds that reach my ears, and those are pretty good.