Controversial opinions on metal

This debate is Über-gay. I stand by my original opinion that thrash vocals generally sound like shit, just like hardcore vox do. Just toneless shouting. I still like the music, but thrash metal is some of the most boring music from a purely vocal standpoint.

I agree with this. I don't really consider the merits of the vocalist when listening to thrash, I mean I like some voices better than others but on the whole its all about the music. The vocals simply go with the intensity, which is not to say that a thrash vocalist can't be a brilliant singer, just that I don't put much emphasis on this when listening to a thrash band. Coroner have made some of the best thrash around yet their vocals are pretty boring, they simply go with the (fucking godly) music.

Dude. Put it into context. It was 1983 for fuck's sake.

Dude. Put it into context. Kill 'Em All, a good portion of Ride the Lightning and KIMB/Peace Sells, most of Bonded By Blood, and Metal Church's debut had been written by then. Show No Mercy definitely could have used a few more months for Aggressive Perfector, Haunting the Chapel, and Captor of Sin to be written. Instead they fuck it up with some of the very worst songs of their career.

EDIT: Hell, I'm listening to Fistful of Metal right now and even though this is another case of a band pushing out a debut too early, there is nothing that sounds as musically WRONG as the bad moments of Show No Mercy.

I don't understand the hate for Ulrich's drumming. I'm not saying he's a great drummer, but I never listen to a Metallica song and think "this would be good if the drumming wasn't so awful." I think it's just really popular to hate him because of the napster thing and the Some Kind Of Monster movie, but honestly he's a rather bland but perfectly solid drummer.

I thought it was more for live performance and general sloppiness. His studio performance pre-St. Anger has never been worse than not worthy of note.

The 80's metal wasn't that good as many claim. A few good bands only. The rest were suckers. There are so many better bands today. And I grew up in the 80's. And not to forget that there are so many better metalmusicians today. Oh how so many of them were better posers than musicians back in the 80's. Motley Crue sucked and still do. And Hair metal?! Wtf was that?! The first time I saw a video with Pretty Boy Floyd I was sure it was girls or transvestites. They sucked so bad that I wanted to buy a flyticket to US and kill those guys.
I dont miss Tarja as leadsinger in Nightwish. They did their best CD without her.

The Sham Mirrors is Arcturus' best album.

This is controversial?

The 80s was probably the best time for metal.

Late 80's/early 90's for me. A lot of diversification and experimentation without delving head-first into overly progressive/avant-garde/wutever shite of the late 90's and beyond. Very little black metal, too.

EDIT: Although the early and mid 80's were definitely the best in terms of the big name thrash bands, and most traditional metal.

I would argue that the 80s in its entirety was the best time period for metal.

Venom, Possessed, Slayer, Exodus, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Sarcofago, Metal Church, Manilla Road, Iron Maiden, Cirith Ungol, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Trouble, Pagan Altar, Candlemass, Sodom, Kreator, Holy Terror, Sepultura, Morbid Angel, and many others released landmark albums in the 80s.

I would argue that the 80s in its entirety was the best time period for metal.

Venom, Possessed, Slayer, Exodus, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Sarcofago, Metal Church, Manilla Road, Iron Maiden, Cirith Ungol, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Trouble, Pagan Altar, Candlemass, Sodom, Kreator, Holy Terror, Sepultura, Morbid Angel, and many others released landmark albums in the 80s.

If it has to be a complete decade (i.e. 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's) this is indisputable. If cutting is allowed, I'd pick 85-94, crying profusely at the exclusion of 1984.

EDIT: I take it back, I have to sacrifice 1994 in favor of 1984. :'(

I cant believe a thrash fan says Show No Mercy sucks..it's just perfect

I don't think the album as a whole sucks. I like it. It's also blatantly rushed song-writing-wise, with a not-so-nice assortment of entirely amateur song-writing, unoriginal but decent NWOBHM worship, and great thrash with some hints of the proto-death of later material.

In death and black metal, definitely. However, the 80s was prolific in quality spanning all genres of metal.

The 80's were more limited to the blockbusters of 82-86 with the occasional early stepping stone (Scream Bloody Gore, both Keeper of the Seven Keys albums, Deathcrush, Control & Resistance, etc) thrown in. The roots of all genres were probably beginning by the end of the 80's (ignoring false ambient drone folk metal) but a lot of had some earlier prototypical elements yet to be shed.

I can think of great albums from every year in the 80s. I also wouldn't say thrash or power metal had much going for them in the 90s.

I don't think the album as a whole sucks. I like it. It's also blatantly rushed song-writing-wise, with a not-so-nice assortment of entirely amateur song-writing, unoriginal but decent NWOBHM worship, and great thrash with some hints of the proto-death of later material.

The amateurish esque song writing adds to the quality I think, makes it more real and the aggression of a pure thrasher! Honestly every riff and scream is so amazing ive been listening to it for years and its the only Slayer album that has that affect..definitely a top5 for thrash