Controversial opinions on metal

I can think of great albums from every year in the 80s. I also wouldn't say thrash or power metal had much going for them in the 90s.

Power metal was glorified traditional metal (with the exception of the occasional Eagle Fly Free) until the mid/late 90's. With thrash I can kind of agree, but 1990 was just as good as any year prior and the next few years still had some holdovers of great thrash (Mental Vortex, Screams & Whispers, Night of the Stormrider, etc).

The amateurish esque song writing adds to the quality I think, makes it more real and the aggression of a pure thrasher! Honestly every riff and scream is so amazing ive been listening to it for years and its the only Slayer album that has that affect..definitely a top5 for thrash

Really, a sizable portion of the album is limp and barely thrash at all. Some of it is so amateur that it wouldn't surprise me if they were still on the fence about the whole thrash thing, half-wanting to reapply the glam makeup.

EDIT: Actually, that's not fair of me. It was probably more a case of "Argh, fuckin' label wants an album and we don't have enough material. Let's dredge up some older crap, record it in one take, and be done with it".

There's a ton of quality amateurish metal so that argument is moot.

You can find "a ton" of quality *. Your argument is moot.

I like 80s (mostly) American power metal. I can't stand that European flowery shit if that's what you're talking about.

I cannot understand why people think Night of the Stormrider is a good album, or why people think Iced Earth is a good band.

Really, a sizable portion of the album is limp and barely thrash at all. Some of it is so amateur that it wouldn't surprise me if they were still on the fence about the whole thrash thing, half-wanting to reapply the glam makeup.

But you think Pantera is thrash so I don't think you're very credible in this conversation.

I like 80s (mostly) American power metal. I can't stand that European flowery shit if that's what you're talking about.

Neither can I for the most part, but as awesome as USPM is, it's more or less varying degrees of Maiden/Priest worship. The rare bands that weren't (Queensryche, for example) were then later cloned themselves.

But you think Pantera is thrash so I don't think you're very credible in this conversation.

Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power are clearly slightly-slowed-down Metallica worship with the occasional Priest nod and ballad thrown in. Still thrash.

Manilla Road, Fates Warning (other than vocals slightly similar to Bruce Dickinson), Adramelch, and Jag Panzer, among others, sound nothing like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.

Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power are clearly slightly-slowed-down Metallica worship with the occasional Priest nod and ballad thrown in. Still thrash.

Cowboys from Hell has some moments reminiscent of heavy metal but that's it really. There's nothing thrash about their music at all in any of their periods.

you don't think show no mercy is thrash? i don't think i should continue to talk about this to you

As I've said a bazillion times, the album is fragmented. Metal Storm/Face the Slayer is fairly aggressive and actually has good riffs, but it still doesn't really have much thrash riffage. Tormentor could have come off of Motley Crue's debut. The Final Command is more speed metal than anything. Crionics is blatant Maiden worship. Really, the second half takes a huge plunge in terms of thrashiness until the title track closes, showing yet another backspace album, this time with a vertical line at the end.

Manilla Road, Fates Warning (other than vocals slightly similar to Bruce Dickinson), Adramelch, and Jag Panzer, among others, sound nothing like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.

Awaken the Guardian, fine, but the first two Arch albums are full of Maiden clonery. Just listen to The Apparition; the first verse (and all of similar pattern) is ripped straight out of Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Pirates of the Underground has a Mercyful Fate riff in there somewhere too. Jag Panzer had only one album in the 80's, but even though it's not an unoriginal album, it's still clearly in the traditional metal style. Adramelch is a notable exception, thrown into the "or less" qualifier I gave. I'd put Savatage and Slauter Xstroyes' Free the Beast in there as well, along with a few others. Still, power metal would be a fairly unneeded term were it not for the flowery 90's bands.

Cowboys from Hell has some moments reminiscent of heavy metal but that's it really. There's nothing thrash about their music at all in any of their periods.

Show me a non-metal song on the first two Atco Pantera albums, plz. Meanwhile, here is some thrash for you...

Last edited by a moderator:
How in the fucking hell could anyone say that Cowboys isn't thrash? I mean, what the fucking fucking fucking fucking hell?

Because there's nothing thrash about it.

Those songs are thrash riffs cut in half so if you want to call it pseudo-thrash, be my guest.

Last edited by a moderator:
How in the fucking hell could anyone say that Cowboys isn't thrash? I mean, what the fucking fucking fucking fucking hell?

This is what happens when tremolo-picking one riff for several minutes in the name of ambiance and Satan becomes metal. In 1994 false metal enjoyed a stronger victory in Norway than California.

Seriously.

HamburgerBoy, last time I checked, Pantera is more well known than anything to come out of Norway so what "victory" are you talking about? Do you think before you post?

I like Pantera, but I wouldn;t call any of their stuff save maybe some songs from CFH and Fucking Hostile thrash.

And ObscureInfinty, Exodus = FUCKING AWESOME.

Pantera got some good stuff, always fun to watch Philip Anselmos "White Pride" speach.