Controversial opinions on metal

Wow I missed a lot. Now it's on Priest. Blood Red Skies is definitely the best track of theirs I can think of. But I agree that it is strange that "earlier is better" but with some bands that applies only too well, even for ones that don't sell out. I would even dare to say the same of Morbid Angel, even though Gateways is a great album I think Alters and Covenant are the best.

I think it's almost a trend among veteran metalheads that they have to prefer the "classic" material of a band, in most cases the first album or first two albums, then dismiss their later discography. It's almost become a rule of thumb when checking out new bands to assume the earlier, or first material is superior.

I'm not questioning this principle, I just find it interesting to think about, in some pseudo-sociological sense.

It is a trend amongst 'veterans' and frankly I think its not always a good one.
The examples you gave... I think Painkiller is a kickass album BUT I agree with you on Stained Class being better... however I disagree with you on Hell Awaits being better than Reign in Blood. I think had Hell Awaits been produced better it could have beat RIB but the production and consistency of RIB put it just a notch ahead in my book. The title track to Hell Awaits however is my fav Slayer song and Kill Again would also make my top 5 with several other tracks being favs for sure.

Considering they were one of the most importany bands in the creation of death metal, technical death metal, and progresive death metal, I'd say they do.

Possessed, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, and Morbid Angel were more important overall. Death's first four albums are good (at best) but don't fall anywhere near a top death metal albums list as far as I'm concerned

Either way, Death is still one of the most important bands in the genre.
And I personaly loved everything Death put out, especially all the albums from Leprosy through Individual Thought Patters.

Human was their last good/decent album. They got too experimental for my liking on Individual Thought Patterns and progressively got worse. Pun intended.

Speaking of which, I find Atheist's Unquestionable Presence to be very overrated as well.

I never liked Atheist much.
And I suppose you can't stop you from thinking waht you think about Death, but I still think they're great.
Anyways for another controversial opinion -
A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh by Celtic Frost us a great song.

Why is that controversial?

I actually love Piece of Time. Unquestionable Presence isn't bad but definitely a beginning to a bad era in death metal.

I dunno, every where else I've posted people seem to hate that song.
And Atheist are a great band for sure, but there was always something about them I personally didnt like very much.

...or it's when Atheist went to complete and utter shit.

@ Schwarzung

Monotheist is a decent album. I've heard mixed reviews about it.