Controversial opinions on metal

you can't look at music history in a retroactive state of mind, these bands like venom and mercyful fate were black metal then and without them nowadays BM wouldn't even exist and to be honest if you're going to be one who will argue that bathory is the first BM band then the fuck? s/t is basically a fucking venom album ffs

and of course i'd pour you all another cold one because I would be laughing my ass off at all of you

I don't usually see eye to eye with Mort on things, but really he is spot on here. Black metal started with Venom, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate, etc. These are black metal bands. If you disagree, you need to brush up on your metal history, at the very least.

1. Venom came out of the NWOBHM scene. Historical fact. They were actually a transitional band that helped to refine the genre of thrash and heavily influenced death and black metal both. If one labels Venom black metal, then, out of fairness, they must also label Mercyful Fate (another primary influence on the genre) black metal.
2. DMDS is the only Mayhem album in my opinion that is a classic, the rest of their discography ranges from mediocre to just plain terrible. And I prefer Emperor, Burzum, Immortal, and Darkthrone to Mayhem. Also, and I know I've said this before: ATTWAD > ITNE. To confuse matters further, I might venture to assert that WOTT is the best of all Emperor recordings (though I don't always feel that way).
3. As for Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Uriah Heep, keep things in context. In the early days of the genre, of course they were metal. There was no other genre befitting of those bands back in the 1970's, even if they could be categorized as nothing more than rock these days. Remember, Slayer was labeled death metal back in the 1980's.

Bands remain "metal" even if you change the description of the genre to deal with the changing times.
Venom is the ORIGINAL Black Metal band. They fucking coined the term Black Metal, saying they aren't is just fucking retarded.

Venom has the unique distinction of being "not black metal" and "black metal" at the same time. They weren't out to create a new genre when they recorded the album Black Metal, it was just a title used to describe the songs on the record. The fact that they helped to create a new sub-genre was quite by accident. Same with Black Sabbath being called doom metal. It was never intended, and therefore not completely fitting.

A few things:

Norwegian black metal is the absolute pinnacle of black metal. Not much comes close, and that that does certainly wasn't released in the last ten years.

Old school Swedish death metal generally rules and anyone who disagrees is listening to the wrong bands/albums and engaging in too much slam-death related homosexuality.

Venom are obviously black metal.
^all this is the truth.

Is speed metal a proper sub-genre? All 'speed metal' bands are generally more commonly listened within another sub-genre.

I just find it interesting that there is a double standard within metal, that an originator of one genre (Venom) is considered to be that genre, but the mooted originators of metal overall (Zep, Purple, Heap, etc) are no longer considered metal by forum goers.

Also wrt the 3 bm albums I listed in my preference order, that was in no way saying that I hate bm. I will admit I am new to bm but that would be the order in which I enjoyed listening to those albums.

If you're new to black metal, you probably aren't in a place to be saying Venom isn't black metal.

Is speed metal a proper sub-genre? All 'speed metal' bands are generally more commonly listened within another sub-genre.

I've always seen it as a transition between heavy metal and thrash. Similar to thrash it can be on the more extreme side(Venom), or it could be on the more melodic side(early Helloween, early Blind Guardian). And then you have bands in the middle, like Motorhead.

Old School Swedish Death Metal is good, but you have to wade through the boring shit like Unleashed and Grave to find the good stuff, unlike USDM where most of the quality bands are quite easy to find, and FDM where not much was released but what was released is awesome.

Norwegian Black Metal, while good for the time, is absolutely horrible to listen nowadays, and I'll bet anything the majority of you guys listen to the contemporaries much more then the originals. (Although Burzum has always been great, Varg is an anomaly.)

Dismember, Nirvana 2002, and Carnage are the best Swedish Death Metal.

More people should listen to Winter/Infester/Traumatic Voyage/Timeghoul.

Oh really? What makes you think the majority here listens to more contemporary than 90s black metal? I certainly don't.

It's a shame Traumatic Voyage's debut is so scarce. Some of the most bizarre/interesting death metal I've ever heard.

I don't think anyone does.

OI, a couple of the more recent TV albums have been re-released, you can sometimes find them at The End. They are good.

Oh, no reason guys. I'm just accusing you two about being total cunts. This is an opinions thread, I post an opinion, that I absolutely detest the majority of early 90's norwegian black metal. You two attack me becasue either I'm not kvlt enough or I have slam bands in my signature. Whatever. Elitist pricks.