Controversial opinions on metal

i think burzum, immortal, darkthrone and mayhem were ridiculously inspired and an argument could be made that each of them were musical geniuses at their respective peaks. to say that black metal has very rarely scaled those dizzy heights since isn't even close to being an insult; the shadow cast by those four bands is ludicrously vast, they inevitably consume just about everything.

Truth.

lots of great music (arguably the majority) is the product of a more juvenile state of mind where self-awareness is yet to fully develop and so instinct prevails. this is why bands almost uniformly seem to get worse as they mature; once they begin to establish their own identity and reflect upon it the magic all fades away and self-consciousness begins to dominate, which 9 times out of 10 either leads to some real self-serious drivel or just a doomed attempt to recapture what once was.

Truth.

lots of great music (arguably the majority) is the product of a more juvenile state of mind where self-awareness is yet to fully develop and so instinct prevails. this is why bands almost uniformly seem to get worse as they mature; once they begin to establish their own identity and reflect upon it the magic all fades away and self-consciousness begins to dominate, which 9 times out of 10 either leads to some real self-serious drivel or just a doomed attempt to recapture what once was.

I like what you did here.

Controversial opinion time for me:

1) If Venom is black metal then Deep Purple, Uriah Heap and Led Zeppelin are metal.

2) After listening to some of the early bm classics - ATTWAD > DMDS > HLTO

Agreed. Anyone who likes In the Nightside Eclipse more than Burzum and Mayhem in their prime also falls under the penis breath category.

Slaughtersun doesn't even come close to Naer Solen Gar Nider For Evogher, which is in the top 5 melodic BM albums of all time.

I agree with this, but I think that some people find Slaughtersun to be more compelling on a purely visceral level, so that might be why they prefer it. I definitely think the debut is a way more interesting listen though.

ObscureInfinity said:
Anyone who likes In the Nightside Eclipse more than Burzum and Mayhem in their prime also falls under the penis breath category.

Really?? How exactly is anything released by Mayhem better than ITNE?

OK what is with all of the poser "black metal sucks" comments? Early 90's Norweigan black fucking decimates.

Yeah, I think I read it the wrong way.

Anyways, while I do find ITNE great, most of the more well known Norwegian acts released better albums. There aren't too many albums from that scene I rate higher than De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, in particular.

I just find it interesting that there is a double standard within metal, that an originator of one genre (Venom) is considered to be that genre, but the mooted originators of metal overall (Zep, Purple, Heap, etc) are no longer considered metal by forum goers.

Also wrt the 3 bm albums I listed in my preference order, that was in no way saying that I hate bm. I will admit I am new to bm but that would be the order in which I enjoyed listening to those albums.

No one has ever considered any of those bands metal, sure they influenced metal bands. That does not change the genre of music they play. You clearly do not understand music.

No one has ever considered any of those bands metal, sure they influenced metal bands. That does not change the genre of music they play. You clearly do not understand music.

Not entirely accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_purple

I know Wiki is not the greatest of citations but nonetheless the very first sentence refutes your claim the "no-one has ever considered any of those bands metal".

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fifexqr5ldke

This also refers to Purple as metal.

I am not trying to start a fight here just understand why.

1st edit:
As far as whether or not I understand music, in a technical sense, no. I love music and am always listening to it or reading about it, but I cannot read music or play music.

I believe I understand music well enough to query things.

2nd edit:
Metal archives has Deep Purple as well.