Controversial opinions on metal

The similarities don't really go far beyond the vocals and production. Dissection had obvious death metal leanings and were always far more influenced by traditional heavy metal.

Also, Dawn is fucking brilliant and they are apparently releasing a new album this year after a 12 year hiatus. It's going to be good!

It's better than when people only listen to an album once and never bother allowing it's true meaning to grow on them. Those people are just dirty fucking hipsters who only care on how many obscure bands they can get in their library.

Someone got beat up by hipsters in the locker room! What do hipsters have to do with anything? They've all worn out their Radiohead LPs and had to replace them with cassette tapes.

There's a difference here. I listen to Slam for fun, I listen to Black Metal when I want to be challenged and look deeper into things. So it's not even close to being a contradiction, as I look at different genres differently, based on what I want out of them.

Well why put those old Black Metal albums in that straitjacket and just appreciate them for the qualities they still possess regardless of how serious or not they may seem to you now?

Controversial = Slaughtersun is Dawn's best album, and it's not only because of fucking "The Knell And The World" either, most songs on it turn out great after repeated listens. "The Aphelion Deserts" is a good example of a song that goes from ok to fantastic after a few listens.

Well why put those old Black Metal albums in that straitjacket and just appreciate them for the qualities they still possess regardless of how serious or not they may seem to you now?

Because to me they haven't stood the test of time very well, whereas older death metal, except (for the most part) the swedish scene has.

Controversial = Slaughtersun is Dawn's best album, and it's not only because of fucking "The Knell And The World" either, most songs on it turn out great after repeated listens. "The Aphelion Deserts" is a good example of a song that goes from ok to fantastic after a few listens.

What would actually be controversial is someone disagreeing with this. "The Aphelion Deserts" is one of my favorite BM songs overall, let alone songs by Dawn.