Controversial opinions on metal

he writes pretty little epic hymns which sound good to my ears. i don't care if you all systematically prove me wrong, i will still like him. musical genius, really. you all just jealous haters

I heard early Graveland and I love how Darken can give off this atmosphere in some songs.

:erk::lol:But I wanted the long and retorty comment.

:kickass:

Ok! You asked for it!

Tyr are indeed a complete fucking mystery to me. Nonsensical proggy nonsense with a terrible plastic production and seemingly random sections of "hey nonny-nonny" styled pagan bull shit. I honestly can't see why anyone would give these the time of day, aside from their silly yet fun version of "the wild rover".

Obituary are the finest exponents of Celtic Frosted death metal ever. Their riffs, while simple, are catchier than a mutant hybrid of the common cold and ebola. Sure, in their initial "come back" period, some of the music was fairly inessential, but their sound is uniqie, the songs well written and the execution perfect. They're also fucking great live.

What was the third point ? Oh yeah. Well, on the Katatonia point I *kind of* agree. I have never really seen why people endlessly masturbate over their early work, which seems to me to owe such a debt to Paradise Lost that they should send Nick Holmes the royalties. The early Anathema stuff is seriously moody and evocative, though whoever told Darren White he can sing should be made to listen to a CD of him singing unaccompanied. On repeat.

^ I gave them a chance at the recent Paganfest but was bored to tears. Their songs go NOWHERE. Seriously show up late if you plan on attending. Turisas and Ensiferum on the other hand were amazing.

Hey Belligerent, where can I find your review of Paganfest?

Furthermore, I love folk metal. However, I can listen to Tyr for about thirty seconds of a song. They have the promise of being this huge, epic sounding choir-like viking band; but then their songs go nowhere (as Belligerent said) and their riffs are uninspired. It's too bad, because they could be amazing if they were better songwriters.

Hey Belligerent, where can I find your review of Paganfest?
I'll give it to you right now:p It was epic and 10x better than I thought it would be. Grab a 12 pack of strong beer and hitchhike if you have to. Don't miss this show Einherjar! Turisas was very entertaining. The lead singer complained of how shitty American beers were:lol:. They were very energetic and had alot of crowd interaction. Played an even amount of songs off of Battle Metal and The Vangarian Way.

Now, Ensiferum. Possibly the tightest band I've ever seen live. Really remarkable musicianship. Only complaint is too many songs off of Victory Songs (which is my least fav).

Turisas are always great fun live, even though their most recent appearance in the UK was split between talking and playing 50/50.

God damn it! Why did they have to skip over Florida?

This would possibly be one of my favorite shows ever. If I can, I'll try and make a hitchhike somewhere, or possibly see if I can catch a show later this summer; but right now, I don't know.

Thanks for the review Belligerent, I appreciate it. :headbang:

edit: How was Korpiklaani? They played too, didn't they?

:lol:

thats the EU paganfest, we got Turisas/Ensiferum/Tyr/Eluv(suidakra if youre on the west coast)(earthen if you were at Powerfest)