Controversial opinions on metal

I'll look into them. Aside from Blasphemy, Conqueror and Revenge are my favorites of the style (though both sound identical probably due to having shared members).

Oh shit man, you're in for a treat. I highly suggest Strike and Obey, with Obey probably being the best conceptual black/death album in recent memory.

Note: I just re-listened to Strike and it was FAR more melodic (one song even has female vocals which is bizarre :erk:) than I remember. Still quite good, I prefer Obey though.

I'm not terribly familiar with war metal. Should I assume good bands to start out with would be Blasphemy, Conqueror and Axis of Advance?

Yeah, start with Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom and Conqueror - War Cult Supremacy. Those are the roots of it along with stuff like Order of Chaos and Angelcorpse kinda.

Starting to listen a lot to Taake lately, everything is great. Never bothered checking them out seriously before, almost wants me to get back to some more black metal.

ok after some brief Youtube surfing I like Angelcorpse and Axis of Advance better than Conqueror and Blasphemy. The latter two sort of remind me of Archgoat, who I'm not big on.

You probably won't like war metal much if you're not into Conqueror or Blasphemy. Other stuff you can try would be Black Witchery, Revenge, Perversor (this one is more thrashy than the others).

When you guys say "war metal," do you just mean bands whose lyrical concepts/themes mostly deal with war? Or are their definitive elements to a "war metal" sound?