Controversial opinions on metal

I'm a huge fan of The Red in the Sky is Ours and Terminal Spirit Disease.

I don't see how anyone can say The Chasm is directionless, imo there's no other band that utilizes quick structure changes, transitions and build up, climaxes (listen to Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition), and counterpoint as well as them.

Don't worry, I may be a The Chasm fanboy. But I hate Paramore.

I'm a huge fan of The Red in the Sky is Ours and Terminal Spirit Disease.

I don't see how anyone can say The Chasm is directionless, imo there's no other band that utilizes quick structure changes, transitions and build up, climaxes (listen to Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition), and counterpoint as well as them.

Don't worry, I may be a The Chasm fanboy. But I hate Paramore.

I honestly never heard a climax listening to The Chasm. Some buildup here and there, but unsatisfactorily unresolved.

Almost sounds like we're listening to 2 completely different bands.

Most of their climaxes usually involve super extended versions of their riffs or solos and resolves into a slower doomier bit, or revisiting one of the first few riffs in the song.

That's how I see it anyway.

Eh, I also see no real climax with The Chasm. Not saying the bands bad, I enjoy some of their albums, but it's like a stripper to me. They get your shit all worked up, but you never get to cum.

III: So Long Suckers is the best Reverend Bizarre album. :p

Mercyful Fate is overated

Maybe since their reputation rests entirely on the reputation of their first two albums, but anyone that considers those albums less than masterpieces fails at traditional metal.

EDIT: But I haven't actually heard anything between DBTO and 9, so that maybe is a really big maybe. I hope that one of these days I'll finally buy In the Shadows and have my ass utterly destroyed.

im sure the first two were amazing for their time but even those don't do it for me I can see the appeal but its just not my thing.

being amazing for their time and still relevant and beloved by metal fans everywhere today =/= overrated. you just don't like it.

im sure the first two were amazing for their time but even those don't do it for me I can see the appeal but its just not my thing.

I clicked on your profile to search your posts, to find whether you've shown any other dislike for metal-defining classics. Thankfully your avatar saved me any time wasted in that venture. Go listen to some wussy anime soundtrack.

that mad huh?

and just because something is labeled as "classic" doesn't mean im not entitled to say it fucking sucks so blow me

yes it fucking does

you're not entitled to say two of the best fucking metal albums of all time, objectively speaking of course, are shit

fuck yourself

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the production on with fear, but yeah i see how it'd be an obstacle for most people. i don't really think of it as death metal though, it's just this weird alien beautiful thing like a natural wonder preserved in amber or something.

this stuff about the chasm only applies to some of their more recent stuff which doesn't have the same sense of momentum and, on the latest album especially, feels more like soundscape music, plus maybe their disjointed early stuff which kinda struggled on the structural side of things in general (though there's something kinda wild and magical about that mess all the same imo). i've never heard a metal band more intent on reaching a conclusion as they are on deathcult though, both within songs and, more clearly, in the album as a whole. i mean, maybe it's not always building gradually towards some loud freak out (though they sometimes do that too), but if you want that go listen to post-rock or something. with the chasm there are up moments and big wild peaks and down moments and it all comes in cyclic movements. i also think that their 'climaxes' are often powerful anti-climaxes; just listen to 'the triumph (of my loss)'. that, my friends, is how to end an album - the whole thing feels like an ending, albeit not a tidy, comfortable one.

yes it fucking does

you're not entitled to say two of the best fucking metal albums of all time, objectively speaking of course, are shit

fuck yourself

:lol:

putting issues of objectivity aside for a second, 'classic' status actually DOES mean you can't just fucking bash something indiscriminately and expect to be taken even half seriously, you have to try to explain how and why the consensus opinion is wrong. or just take the easy, lazy route and say it's not to your tastes.

tbh any bashing of an album should have a reasonable argument supporting it, no matter what its status. If it's an album like Virtual XI with a million pre-made arguments to pick from, you just don't have to worry about creating a new one.

:lol:

putting issues of objectivity aside for a second, 'classic' status actually DOES mean you can't just fucking bash something indiscriminately and expect to be taken even half seriously, you have to try to explain how and why the consensus opinion is wrong. or just take the easy, lazy route and say it's not to your tastes.

ok. simple, plain, and boring guitar work on top of stupid cheesy high pitched vocals courtesy of King Diamond plus the songs weren't that memorable. plus its not my taste.

i actually prefer the first 6 songs on Terminal Spirit Disease to anything else they did.

:worship:

The Beautiful Wound is one of the best fucking songs I've ever heard.

I think Mercyful Fate is awesome. Sometimes the guitar work is hit and miss (riffs sound more rock than metal sometimes), my major complaint is that King Diamond's high notes sometimes just sound silly and don't fit the music.

this stuff about the chasm only applies to some of their more recent stuff which doesn't have the same sense of momentum and, on the latest album especially, feels more like soundscape music, plus maybe their disjointed early stuff which kinda struggled on the structural side of things in general (though there's something kinda wild and magical about that mess all the same imo). i've never heard a metal band more intent on reaching a conclusion as they are on deathcult though, both within songs and, more clearly, in the album as a whole. i mean, maybe it's not always building gradually towards some loud freak out (though they sometimes do that too), but if you want that go listen to post-rock or something. with the chasm there are up moments and big wild peaks and down moments and it all comes in cyclic movements. i also think that their 'climaxes' are often powerful anti-climaxes; just listen to 'the triumph (of my loss)'. that, my friends, is how to end an album - the whole thing feels like an ending, albeit not a tidy, comfortable one.

I never had a problem with Deathcult, but as I said much of their music has the problem, so I feel it they get masturbated around here a little to often/much for only putting out a couple of real standout pieces of death metal.