Controversial opinions on metal

Whatever, Funeral Doom is a subgenre of doom metal. It has doom in its name, it's slow like doom, melancholic like doom, it just has other influences. That's how EVERY sub-genre starts, by the introduction of outside influence into the original genre.

Swallow the Sun and Novembers Doom tend to play some bastardized genre of metal... they really arent playing death metal or doom, (actually, I think Novembers Doom early stuff was true death/doom hybrid) or a combination of the two. Swallow the Sun is just gay.

Real death metal/doom metal hybrids make me think of Acid Witch or Disembowelment.

Funeral doom just isnt doom metal... I can live with dodens' assessment.

Doom is the sexiest of genres.

What is the sexiest doom metal band out there? Most of them are either fat, homeless-looking hippies, or general weirdos. I'm looking at some early Trouble pictures when they were semi-dolled up and maybe they'd qualify, and Paul Chain was pretty hot in an exotic medieval warlock kind of way, but in general it's pretty ugly.

Do I fail at doom metal for having typed in "Revbiz" to find no results, then searching "Earl of Void" and realizing what you meant?

EDIT: I don't know about that guy, but I approve of the singer.

Reverend+Bizarre.jpg

<3

Swallow the Sun and Novembers Doom tend to play some bastardized genre of metal... they really arent playing death metal or doom, (actually, I think Novembers Doom early stuff was true death/doom hybrid) or a combination of the two. Swallow the Sun is just gay.

Real death metal/doom metal hybrids make me think of Acid Witch or Disembowelment.

Funeral doom just isnt doom metal... I can live with dodens' assessment.

Novembers Doom is mainly influenced by the UK Death/Doom scene. Explains why they do not sound like US Death/Doom bands or whatever.

Generalizations are general.

Traditional 'doom' is an extension of heavy metal.
Death/doom is an extension of death metal.
Funeral doom is an extension of myriad influences, but I believe its main derivation is death/doom.

"Myriad influences" is pretty general, Dodens.

@no country:

Saying that some black metal is lethargic doesn't mean that lethargy isn't an inherent aesthetic quality of doom metal (which is much more prominent in funeral doom than most black/death metal bands).

Funeral doom really doesn't have any traits at all in common with doom metal, other than the obvious slow tempo. It's not like there's a natural syntax between the sounds of Saint Vitus and Thergothon.

"Myriad influences" is pretty general, Dodens.

I actually rescind that comment, I don't really know what I was thinking about. Funeral Doom is pretty much a direct extension of conventional Doom/Death Metal. I don't know what I was thinking or where I was going with that comment, but it's wrong.

I think the most appropriate way to classify doom metal is the same way by which progressive bands are distinguished; namely as an adjective. Just as there is progressive heavy metal and progressive death metal, there is traditional doom metal, which is essentially doom heavy metal, and doom death metal. It's more of a specific characteristic within a broader horizon.