Controversial opinions on metal

Since Mort brought it up, I feel "Funeral Doom" has more in common with drone and death/black/"extreme" metal than doom metal.

Funeral Doom is Death metal played at a snails pace, with the melancholy of doom.++

Mort sent me some "manifesto" on why funeral doom was more akin to death metal, but I can't buy into it. When I listen to funeral doom it still sounds more like doom metal than death metal.

Really more that I think of it, funeral doom draws way more from black metal than anything else.

I don't get how anyone can say it sounds like doom when doom is Vitus, Sabbath, Trouble, Candlemass, etc.

Really more that I think of it, funeral doom draws way more from black metal than anything else.

I don't get how anyone can say it sounds like doom when doom is Vitus, Sabbath, Trouble, Candlemass, etc.

I don't get how anyone can say Burzum sounds like black metal, when black metal is Venom, Sarcofago, Bathory, etc.

See, I can use that logic too, but it doesn't make it correct.

black metal and funeral doom are two completely different genres of music.the only thing they have in common is that BM and FD focus on repition and depressive atmospheres. and those are things that are not always common in both genres

The aesthetics of it scream "doom," in my opinion. I mean, I've listened to death metal and black metal, and funeral doom just sounds more like doom.

The aesthetics are much more in tune with the fantastical and literary aspects of black metal and death metal than the more real world focus of most traditional doom bands.

black metal and funeral doom are two completely different genres of music.the only thing they have in common is that BM and FD focus on repition and depressive atmospheres. and those are things that are not always common in both genres

Um,

I thought the original idea behind BM was to be evil, not depressive. Save that for the DSBM bands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Death/doom a lot of the time isnt really doom metal either (ala autopsy/asphyx/etx)... people just want to go slapping doom on a genre because it's slow.

And, as I sit here and listen to Catacombs, I've gotta agree with what I said earlier, very repetitive, very long and drawn out (droning, hell even the vocals drone) mixed with extreme metal "heaviness" and vocals.

I thought the original idea behind BM was to be evil, not depressive. Save that for the DSBM bands.

"evil" is not the only emotion (if you wanna call it that) expressed in black metal and TBH being "satanic" or "evil" is so fucking cornbally. its such a cliche and ultimately a gimmick nowadays, years ago it wasn't but now its just lame.

but my point is BM has a very unhappy feel to it. thats why people listen to it, well atleast thats why I do among other reasons

The aesthetics are much more in tune with the fantastical and literary aspects of black metal and death metal than the more real world focus of most traditional doom bands.

Candlemass, Lord Vicar, Doomsword and Scald don't have fantastical, literary lyrical themes?

And besides, I was more referring to the style of instrumentation. "Slow" doesn't entirely describe it. There's a lethargy to funeral doom (inherently, of course) that separates it from the frantic and aggressive nature of black and death metal. Traditional doom metal possesses a fraction of this lethargy as well. It's just a more hopeless sounding endeavor; the idea of progression is futile, so it's as though the instrumentation gets dragged down in a swamp. Black and death metal are definitely not constrained by any such inhibitions. Of course, for doom metal this constraint isn't a bad thing. It partially defines the genre.

I'm just explaining why funeral doom sounds like doom to me.

Heres something that will probably make Mort flip:

I've come to the conclusion that much of The Chasm's music lacks direction.

Early works, perhaps. Deathcult and onward, absolutely not. There is no way any non-retard could think so. Each song progresses in a very natural way and there are absolutely no sections that leave one going "The fuck? That doesn't fit there at all" like almost all the techy bullshit you like.

Early works, perhaps. Deathcult and onward, absolutely not. There is no way any non-retard could think so. Each song progresses in a very natural way and there are absolutely no sections that leave one going "The fuck? That doesn't fit there at all" like almost all the techy bullshit you like.

Maybe I should be more specific. Their songs don't get anywhere. There's no "wtf" moments, their songs just kind of die off.