Controversial opinions on metal

Devy puts one of the best live shows I've ever seen. He's charismatic, energetic, and that makes the music that much more enjoyable when the band plays.

I will never buy a Devy album, however. Just not that interesting on its own. Juular is a cool song.

Katharsis is overrated (note: this evaluation based solely on Fourth Reich). Good, but far from a shining beacon of light in a dark world of shitty black metal. Same goes for Sargeist and Behexen.

Katharsis is certainly not a shining beacon, but I find most of Fourth Reich to be pretty damn exceptional by the standards we have today. Possibly a top 15 or 20 black metal release of the decade for me, though probably not top 10.

As I was reading on the rhinocervs website, apparently they're no better than crepsculo Negro. Multiple posters there are calling the label a rip off...

I've said this before and I will say it again, Devin Townsend is fucking terrible in every single way. Anyone who worships this guy as a "god of metal" needs to be medicated.

I dont think he is in anyway a ¨god of metal¨ but I do think he is an innovative genius in his own right.

Townsend is nothing more than a over-glorified circus clown.

Oh no you di´ent... Ima let that one slide dispite being a fanboy, because of all the good recomendations you have given me lately.

Katharsis is overrated (note: this evaluation based solely on Fourth Reich). Good, but far from a shining beacon of light in a dark world of shitty black metal. Same goes for Sargeist and Behexen.

Sargeist is definitely nothing worth noting, though still a good listen occasionally.

Behexen's "My Soul For His Glory" was one of the best black metal releases in the last few years, easily.

Katharsis is not over rated by any means, but are definitely an amazing band overall. With any album.

Also, everything I said regarding California black metal bands made no sense.

As I was reading on the rhinocervs website, apparently they're no better than crepsculo Negro. Multiple posters there are calling the label a rip off...

As poor as their reputation might be, Crepusculo Negro's was far worse.

The Fourth Reich is good, but VVorld VVithout End is their best easily.

Disagree.. 666 then VVorld VVithout End, then 4th Reich, then Kruzifixxion.

Sargeist is definitely nothing worth noting, though still a good listen occasionally.

I remember when Let the Devil In came out, it seemed as if everyone on this board was fapping hardcore over Sargeist.....Including you...?:confused:

Also, I like Dark Funeral.

I liked them when I first got into black metal....My balls were just starting to get hair on them and frankly didnt know any better...Now, they are just a fucking joke to me lol

Dordedoh's "Dar De Duh" is the most overrated album of 2012. The band takes a whole lot of time to accomplish very little. And those chanting parts on the opening track soun like they were taken from some Eastern European male cheerleading competition.

Admittedly I only know the one album, Diabolis Interium. Love that thing.

Agree. I like Vobiscum Satanas and Secrets of the Black Arts as well. One of those bands I grew up with.

Dordedoh's "Dar De Duh" is the most overrated album of 2012. The band takes a whole lot of time to accomplish very little. And those chanting parts on the opening track soun like they were taken from some Eastern European male cheerleading competition.

Its very underwhelming to me. Its stuff I should love but it just doesnt click. I enjoy the later Negura Bunget way more than Dar De Duh.

I enjoy the album, however it is far from as mindblowing as many stated.

Megadeth > Metallica and Slayer has sucked for 20 years.

Death is still better than any DM band from the 80's/90's.

Heritage was the WORST change for any band in the history of time and the worst attempt at sounding like 70's prog rock.

Regular Black Metal is the worst extreme genre of metal, unless the band has symphonic/prog influences they pretty much suck.

German thrash > American Thrash.

Metallica > Megadeth and Slayer has sucked since Divine Intervention.

Death is still better than many DM band from the 80's/90's, but Entombed, Morbid Angel and Carcass's releases were up there.

Heritage was a surprising but not bad change for any band in the history of time and a decent attempt at sounding like 70's prog rock.

Regular Black Metal is the worst extreme genre of metal, unless the band has symphonic/prog influences they pretty much suck.

German thrash < American Thrash.

Fixd it for ya. Let the tirade begin.