Controversial opinions on metal

Neil Peart is overrated right along with Mike Portnoy and every other prog drummer. The worst was Mike fucking Mangini talking about how he had all his "dark cymbals on the right and bright cymbals on the left so I can change keys when the song does." Fuck off.

Note: I loves me some Rush, I just get tired of people talking about Peart like he's god.

Yes, he is. Because everyone with a vague drumming knowledge ejaculates every time the guy's name is mentioned like he's The Drum God and everyone else on the planet is some mere plebian.

He's great, Rush is awesome, obviously deserves a spot on the all-time best list, but I get so fucking tired of people tripping over their drool to talk about how he's the greatest EVARRRRR.

I like how you take the drummer's actual talent and contributions to music into account when you determine if they're overrated.

Btw, you're all dead wrong anyway. Gavin Harrison is the best drummer alive.

No that would be Opeth. I love Porcupine Tree but there are tons of bands better than them, Katatonia, Symphony X, Dream Theater (as a whole) etc.

My feeling is that the best progressive bands aren't metal bands. They are progressive rock bands. And the best metal bands are mainly committed to the riff and the power and/or darkness and/or energy of metal. The most interesting thing about the Porcupine Tree show I saw was that the dude didn't wear socks while he mercilessly ripped off the Pink Floyd songs I grew up with.

I'm not sure who's heard what, but some progressive rock that I adore---
Close to the Edge & Drama by Yes.
Court of the Crimson King, Larks Tongues in Aspic, Islands & Red by King Crimson.
There's the Rub & Argus by Wishbone Ash
Animals & Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.
Minstrel in the Gallery & Thick as a Brick & Stormwatch by Jethro Tull
Interview & Three Friends by Gentle Giant.
Cherry Five & Roller by Goblin.
One Size Fits All by Frank Zappa
Darwin by Banco
Ut by New Trolls

Once the sound stage is defined by heavy riffing guitars---as it is in HEAVY METAL---it overpowers the mix of instruments and is the focus alongside dramatic singing and (in extreme metals) drumming, which is a lot of what I like about metal.

Other than Katatonia--who I like, but are closer to Depeche Mode and the Cure in spirit since the Discouraged Ones---most of these prog metal bands don't work for me. They split the difference of two things I adore and give me the rewards of neither genre.

Emperor's IX Equilibrium is one of the only truly progressive metal albums I dig. Also, Anacrusis, Screams & Whispers.

Opeth, Fates Warning, Spiral Architect, Watchtower...meh. This does not go as far a Crimson did 40+ years ago and is not as powerful and empowering as Megadeth is on Rust in Peace or Destroyer 666 is on Phoenix Rising or Mayhem is on Wolf's Lair Abyss.

I will smite you to into the deepest, darkest, depths of hell where you will stay and suck a giant red creatures cock while listening to Britney Spear's, Oops I did it again, over and over again.

No that would be Opeth. I love Porcupine Tree but there are tons of bands better than them, Katatonia, Symphony X, Dream Theater (as a whole) etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note: I loves me some Rush, I just get tired of people talking about Peart like he's god.

Agreed.

Three 1970s hard rockers who I prefer over Peart---

Barriemore Barlow of Jethro Tull. Double bass innovator in the 70s. Syncopation master with the most fluid transitions ever.
John Bonham called him the single best drummer ever to come out of England. Check out 2:28 onward...

Ian Paice in Deep Purple just killed everyone in terms of ferocity. Space Truckin' climaxes through him.

And perhaps the best, tastiest kit killer was in Journey back when they were progressive jam band.
Bow down before the master...Aynsley Dunbar!

I've only ever heard this on vinyl, so some of his playing it lost here on youtube. But hell, this is a great album and it should be purchased by anybody who likes jam-oriented prog.

My feeling is that the best progressive bands aren't metal bands. They are progressive rock bands. And the best metal bands are mainly committed to the riff and the power and/or darkness and/or energy of metal. The most interesting thing about the Porcupine Tree show I saw was that the dude didn't wear socks while he mercilessly ripped off the Pink Floyd songs I grew up with.

I'm not sure who's heard what, but some progressive rock that I adore---
Close to the Edge & Drama by Yes.
Court of the Crimson King, Larks Tongues in Aspic, Islands & Red by King Crimson.
There's the Rub & Argus by Wishbone Ash
Animals & Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.
Minstrel in the Gallery & Thick as a Brick & Stormwatch by Jethro Tull
Interview & Three Friends by Gentle Giant.
Cherry Five & Roller by Goblin.
One Size Fits All by Frank Zappa
Darwin by Banco
Ut by New Trolls

Once the sound stage is defined by heavy riffing guitars---as it is in HEAVY METAL---it overpowers the mix of instruments and is the focus alongside dramatic singing and (in extreme metals) drumming, which is a lot of what I like about metal.

Other than Katatonia--who I like, but are closer to Depeche Mode and the Cure in spirit since the Discouraged Ones---most of these prog metal bands don't work for me. They split the difference of two things I adore and give me the rewards of neither genre.

Emperor's IX Equilibrium is one of the only truly progressive metal albums I dig. Also, Anacrusis, Screams & Whispers.

Opeth, Fates Warning, Spiral Architect, Watchtower...meh. This does not go as far a Crimson did 40+ years ago and is not as powerful and empowering as Megadeth is on Rust in Peace or Destroyer 666 is on Phoenix Rising or Mayhem is on Wolf's Lair Abyss.

I completely forgot to mention Ihsahn in my post, one talented as fuck musician, everything hes done has been amazing, Emperor is probably my favorite black metal band.

I like how you take the drummer's actual talent and contributions to music into account when you determine if they're overrated.

Btw, you're all dead wrong anyway. Gavin Harrison is the best drummer alive.

I'd like to congratulate on swiftly nullifying any credibility your first statement had with your second.

Only reason why Porcupine Tree get brought up with Metal fans is because Steve Wilson has worked with Mikael from Opeth. You're comparing them with prog metal bands and they have nothing in commen with.

I’ve seen a few people post on here that prog rock is better than prog metal. I couldn’t disagree more. I’d take Opeth, Dream Theater, or any technical/prog death metal over prog rock any day of the week.

To be honest I find most ‘prog rock’ to be dreadfully dull and boring. Obvious exceptions include Porcupine Tree and Rush.

I’ve seen a few people post on here that prog rock is better than prog metal. I couldn’t disagree more. I’d take Opeth, Dream Theater, or any technical/prog death metal over prog rock any day of the week.

To be honest I find most ‘prog rock’ to be dreadfully dull and boring. Obvious exceptions include Porcupine Tree and Rush.

C-Zar likes boring music, I see it now.

Prog rock can be dry but at least '70s prog had direction.

Depends on the kind of 70's prog you're talking about. Some of it is much less concise and focused than your typical 90's progressive metal bands. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but "direction" wouldn't be the one thing I'd single out from the genre.

And lol @ Porcupine Tree being an exception to boringness.

Robert plant is a fucking bad ass. Anyone that thinks otherwise is fucking retarded.

:yow: What tha hell are you talking about?!
:puke: Enjoy Robert Plants soda commercial. :yuk:

Robert Plant - bought and paid for!
:err: :bah:

I think that's because PT and Rush didn't sit down and intentionally make "prog". They wanted to make rock but were creative and original enough that they were actually PROGRESSIVE and the label was just kinda foisted upon them.

It's kinda funny that prog is a label at ALL. If it's truly progressive, how can it have a distinct sound? Shouldn't progressive bands be, by definition, challenging institutions and forging new territory. The fact that "prog" bands all sound alike is almost ironic.

I think that's because PT and Rush didn't sit down and intentionally make "prog". They wanted to make rock but were creative and original enough that they were actually PROGRESSIVE and the label was just kinda foisted upon them.

It's kinda funny that prog is a label at ALL. If it's truly progressive, how can it have a distinct sound? Shouldn't progressive bands be, by definition, challenging institutions and forging new territory. The fact that "prog" bands all sound alike is almost ironic.

I couldn't agree with this more. Actually, I think it's safe to say that any prog metal/rock band that didn't start with the intention of playing 'prog' are really the only bands that stand out in the genre. Probably because they are truly 'progressive' in their approach to music, rather than trying to compose the most complex music they can think of.