Controversial opinions on metal

Probably isn't controversial here but a certain group of posters bombarding us with post metal as of late makes me hate it even more than I did. I've listened to a lot of it throughout the years and I can't remember anything about it except it all does the same shit. Play the same sludgy sounding metal part for a while then go off on some ambient/post rock/experimental/idontfuckingcare tangent for 3-10 minutes, then back to the only metal part they know how to play and the vocals are usually a monotonous extreme metal vocal that I've never thought fit the music that well. The musically equivalent of watching my dick and hoping it will grow. It just isn't gonna.

+1

Who cares? At least it generally has better cover art than the black metal stuff posted here. At least half of what you said is applicable to bullshit like Filosofem.

Yeah, Slaughter of the Soul-influenced "metalcore" minus breakdowns is just Slaughter of the Soul. "Metalcore" is almost meaningless.

Probably isn't controversial here but a certain group of posters bombarding us with post metal as of late makes me hate it even more than I did. I've listened to a lot of it throughout the years and I can't remember anything about it except it all does the same shit. Play the same sludgy sounding metal part for a while then go off on some ambient/post rock/experimental/idontfuckingcare tangent for 3-10 minutes, then back to the only metal part they know how to play and the vocals are usually a monotonous extreme metal vocal that I've never thought fit the music that well. The musically equivalent of watching my dick and hoping it will grow. It just isn't gonna.

Just curious....what bands does this apply to in your opinion?

Seriously, if you think that cover art is more displeasing than that of some of the br00tal death metal shite Krow posts, you have no taste.

Alright man, I'll take the bait.

Post metal requires the listener to have a certain appreciation of minimalism and feminine atmospheres, otherwise it will bore them to tears. Since you're into post black metal, one would think you'd appreciate substance over form, and I'm not saying that there are no shitty post metal bands, but there are definitely more quality acts than the Big 2 that so many listeners draw the line at.

The problem that's growing within the genre is that a lot of dudes are latching on to post metal for the sensationalism and an appreciation of the form, without understanding either how to create music of substance within its limits, or where the limits are at all. And that's where we get bands that sound like Explosions in the Sky with vocals and sludge sections, or Between the Buried and Me with less solos, respectively.

For every Astrohenge, there's a quality act like Latitudes demonstrating that post metal can be expanded upon without imploding on its own framework. And for every Callisto out there, there's a group like Mouth of the Architect that has loads of competency for understated clean sections and epic buildups that don't lose momentum by missing riff potential.

I think I actually need to listen to more post metal because:

A. I love what I've heard thus far
B. I can only name a handful of post metal bands, and even fewer that I've actually listened to. I haven't even scratched the surface of this genre.

Eligos, throw some of your TOP reqs at me if you get a chance. Maybe just a few to get started. When people post a shitload of reqs I generally get overwhelmed and just end up never checking it out.

Most of what I'd consider top-notch is instrumental and skirts the post rock genre pretty heavily, but let me know what you think. I figure you've already heard Neurosis, Isis, Russian Circles, Red Sparowes and some other obvious ones.

(These guys change with every album, so if it doesn't stick I can recommend a better release)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright man, I'll take the bait.

Post metal requires the listener to have a certain appreciation of minimalism and feminine atmospheres, otherwise it will bore them to tears. Since you're into post black metal, one would think you'd appreciate substance over form, and I'm not saying that there are no shitty post metal bands, but there are definitely more quality acts than the Big 2 that so many listeners draw the line at.

Isis and... Neurosis? Who's the 2nd band?