Controversial opinions on metal

I prefer NSD in terms of consistency tbh. TE has a couple songs I'm not fond of, like All Moving Parts or Rock n' Roll Doctor.

Both albums are great though. Sabbath never put out a bad album during the Ozzy and Dio eras.

Morbid Angel is straight up boring. Their music is flavorless and monochromatic. It lacks power, atmopshere or anything else that could make it worhtwhile and the compositions are not nearly engaging enough to compensate for the lack of presence.

Morbid Angel is straight up boring. Their music is flavorless and monochromatic. It lacks power, atmopshere or anything else that could make it worhtwhile and the compositions are not nearly engaging enough to compensate for the lack of presence.

If you're listening to Covenant or after, sure.

Altars and Blessed are flawless though.

Even total shit like Heretic is far from flavorless, but crimsonfloyd is a texturesfag so whaddya expect.

If you're listening to Covenant or after, sure.

Altars and Blessed are flawless though.

Every song is a 5/10 or 6/10 with no exceptional tracks on either album. I've tried and tried to see what people think is so special about them, but I fail to see a single exemplary or extraordinary quality to either record. Is it just that they were the first to develop a certain style?

Sorry man but your opinion isn't controversial, it's just wrong! There is nothing boring or flavorless about any of their albums bar parts of heretic and pretty much all of the last one. Altars will always be a goto album for me.

Visions from the Dark Side is almost a black metal song, even you should be able to like that one.

Yep, Morbid Angel is very boring. I tried to get on board with the song survivor thread we had going for them but every song just kept blending into the other. I knew picking the worst would be a random crap shoot.

Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy are both fucking awful by Sabbath standards. 2 of their bottom 3 really.

Not liking Morbid Angel and Nocturnus makes you guys falses, btw.

Nocturnus has one OK album, then a shitty thrash metal one and an even worse single/EP after that. Never bothered checking out that third album, but they're a perfect example of what benefits being born into the wrong scene can bring.

I also read your post in the top 20 death metal albums thread about you not liking Immolation either. While Morbid Angel may not be as technically proficient as Immolation, both are kind of the in the same vein atmospherically and thematically. The appeal of this style is an unrelenting pummeling of aggression that is soaked in ritualistic imagery. It isnt particularly "feel good" music, so I can understand the aversion to this style of music. Immolation can even be nauseating at times, but in an entrancing sort of way that grows on you.

You say that MA lacks power, but imo one of the strongest attributes of Altars is its energy. It's a very powerful record with a psychotic aggression that you dont see very often in more orderly death metal. Yes, it's a compositional mess, but I think it works in the album's favor. I feel like the discography as a whole starts to get more progressively boring and samey though, so I can see where you are coming from. Altars on the other hand is a top 10 dm album imo.