Convince my wife to let me record a band

Jul 16, 2007
I put an ad on craigslist asking if any local non-pro bands wanted to get a song mixed. I want to get a feel for how much time it should take to record a track and mix it start to finish. I think that I finally have the right experience, tools and equipment to do a decent job with a real band.

I got a single reply and the guy wants me to call him. I told my wife and she's telling me that I can't go meet a stranger because he might rob me and beat the shit out of me.

What can I do? My plan was to meet the band somewhere ahead of time and see what I had to work with as far as the drum kit and guitar amps.

I also considered having a buddy follow me in another vehicle to make sure no one pulled out any guns

Look up a band on myspace that close to you and offer your service. Then you know who your dealing with and no band is gonna turn down free recording. Plus you can pick a style you line....

I got a single reply and the guy wants me to call him. I told my wife and she's telling me that I can't go meet a stranger because he might rob me and beat the shit out of me.

I loled.

You know a phone call would be good. Are you recording them at your place or theirs? Either way your going to be in their presence at some point.

Have some meat head friend of yours go with you to help load equipment, move mics and plug in cables. Usually people aren't smart enough to do something like she things is going to happen, at least without any common sense as how not to get caught. I'd be more worried about asking for money and not getting paid afterwards than getting killed and ripped off. Did she just watch "No Country For Old Men" or something?

There just have been numerous stories of people getting together for things on craigslist, but one person showing up with weapons to rob the other person

by the way, this would be me going to them, so i would have to take my laptop and portable rack stuff

I think were gona have to convince your wife to give you your balls back first buddy.

Ok, what do you guys all do if you're going to start a mobile session? Do you just show up with all of your gear or do you meet the guys first

"grow a pair of nuts is my advice"

I snorted when I read the heading...

I actually spit coffee out when I read this 1st reply :D

c'mon dude ... its Man-Time .... seriously. Go meet with the band. And don't write stuff like this 'cause you're looking to get your ass kicked on here :D

Yes, cuz it's totally possible to dispense an ass-kicking with scathing forum-typing behind internet anonymity :rolleyes:

I sympathize with your hesitancy about craigslist people dude, but just meet in a public place, speak to him first, trust your instincts, and tactfully reassure your wife, and I'd say you're set. :)

wear chainmail. if he strikes, you'll only lose a hitpoint or two.

"the voice of reason" has spoken

I think the good natured sarcasm in statements like "get your ass kicked on here" should be more than obvious. Ass kicked, as in people busting your balls ...

its funny and its ok to laugh. I don't think there are any internet commandos here

Cheers!

Men_s_Fashion_Belt.jpg

Jeff