Cool, but odd cover songs by Metal groups

Six Feet Under covering In League with Satan by Venom... bloody good laugh.

Agalloch's cover of Kneel to the Cross is a bit odd too...

metal bands covering black sabbath doesnt seem that odd to me. but i guess anyone covering black sabbath doesnt sound weird after hearing the cardigans cover 2 sabbath songs, 1 ozzy, and a thin lizzy (sabbath, bloody sabbath, iron man, mr. crowely, and the boys are back in town).

i will second the death "painkiller" thing. mainly b/c it doesnt feel like that song is that old..even though its almost 15 years, heh. but it seems weird for a band to cove a song that i would see the video for on headbangers ball.

not odd, but iced earth's cover of alice cooper's "dead babies" is awesome.

coalesce and the get up kids had a split record where they each covered one of eachothers songs...which was really fucking weird.

converge also did a weird, but cool cover of the cure's disintegration. and an awesome cover of vio-lence's "serial killer"

blakmetalemp said:
HIM (His Infernal Majesty) covered Chris Isakk's song Wicked Game and it FUCKING KICKS ALL KINDS OF ASS!

Also, "Sepultura covering "Orgasmatron" by Motorhead" Sepultura's cover of Orgasmatron is so badass.
Yeah man. That song naturally suits Sepultura well.

spigot said:
Vader - lots of slayer
None of them that I've heard are any good. They should stick to making their own songs, of which I think they've made enough.

Vader's cover of Raining Blood is amazing!
Even better than the original!

So listen to that one right now! :kickass:

ffanatic said:
I thought Demons and Wizards did White Room :confused:

Anyway, for sheer oddity, the chice has to be either Megadeth's cover of These Boots, or Celtic Frost's cover of Mexican Radio.
They did.

Blind Guardian - "Mr. Sandman"

Slayer - In a Gadda da Vida
Slayer - Guilty for Being White
Korn - Another Brick in the Wall, pts. 1-3
AFI (not metal but I like the cover) - Head Like a Hole
I'm probably going to get flamed for this one but I like:

Limp Bizkit - Faith

The only odd cover song i've heard is sentenced -white wedding. A lot of the songs in this thread are not odd for a metal band to cover(I read threads wrong sometimes so who cares really).

Burn It Down covered Paint It Black,
Blatherskite-P.L.D.G (pretty little dutch girl an old coney island song)
Graveworm-It's A Sin (pet shop boys)
Dark Funeral-Dead Skin Mask (Slayer)
Lord Belial-The Trooper (Iron Maiden)
Judas Priest-Diamonds and Rust (Joan Baez)
Type O Negative-Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
Enochian Crescent-13 Candles (Bathory)
Dark Funeral-The Trial (Mercyful Fate)
Mystic Circle-Cry Little Sister (dont know the artist but it was from that
cheesy 80's movie The Lost Boys fear the mullets)

i like one that is the opposite....

primus - the thing that should not be

Vader - I feel You (Depeche Mode, from the album "future of the past") - Especially cool as it retains the spirit of the original, but replaces many of the lyrics.

Cathedral - Fire (Crazy world of Arthur Brown, from the "HOPKINS" e.p.) - actually a great fit in psychadelic rock from the flare trousered doom-botherers.

Skyclad - Swords of a thousand men (Ten Pole Tudor, from the Folkemon album) - great punk/pop song of the (mid?) eighties gets the drunken Skyclad treatment. Wakyiers voice fits it perfectly!