cradle of filth

Count_Filth said:
And I think your a douche bag. They're my favorite band, I know what they are.

Apparently you don't. There is no such thing as "symphonic hard core metal". That label is just ridiculous. Furthermore saying that there is no such thing as gothic music is even more retarded. Apparently you have no fucking clue what gothic really means (hint: it has nothing to do with Hot Topic or Evanescence). Though I wouldn't label CoF as gothic music as such. But extreme gothic metal or something like that is a fitting label I suppose.

Fredy_Brown said:
Count_Filth mess Goth with Gothic metal, he is clueless, like has been said before.

He's probably too young to remember what "Goths" were the first time round. I remember what they were when I was young enough to care which bullshit youth sub-culture I belonged to: I hated those fucking skinny bastards and their facial make up.

Now ? isn't "Goth" dead ? I hate the coterminousity that seems to be applied by the (American) media with "goth" and "metal".

Yes, they both wear black. No, they aren't the same. The choice of term "goth metal" is also generally wrong.

COF don't seem remotely "goth" in the 80's sense to me at all; yes, they have a strictly "Gothic" in the literature sense outlook, but I don't see the "Goth" sub-culture reference at all, aside from the SOM cover.

CoF has nothing to do with the 80's goth culture at all no. And gothic metal is dubious because most people who are into gothic music consider metal to not be part of it at all. It all depends on how you choose to define stuff I suppose. I would use the term gothic metal for bands like Lacuna Coil and After Forever. And I think CoF is closer to those things than any other metal genre.

Gothic is really more a way of looking at life than it is about wearing makeup or weird clothes or stuff like that. You know, the whole dark romanticism kind of thing. A cynical sense of humour, etc. It's not about looking like Marilyn Manson, shopping at Hot Topic, and writing in your diary about how much you hate your parents and want to kill yourself everday. Unfortunately that is what is nowadays commonly associated with gothic culture.

Anyway, I could rant for hours on this topic. What were we talking about again? Oh right, gothic music exists. If you disagree then you are just ignorant and should brush up on some music history. Starting with buying some CDs by Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and so on.

CAIRATH said:
CoF has nothing to do with the 80's goth culture at all no. And gothic metal is dubious because most people who are into gothic music consider metal to not be part of it at all. It all depends on how you choose to define stuff I suppose. I would use the term gothic metal for bands like Lacuna Coil and After Forever. And I think CoF is closer to those things than any other metal genre.

Gothic is really more a way of looking at life than it is about wearing makeup or weird clothes or stuff like that. You know, the whole dark romanticism kind of thing. A cynical sense of humour, etc. It's not about looking like Marilyn Manson, shopping at Hot Topic, and writing in your diary about how much you hate your parents and want to kill yourself everday. Unfortunately that is what is nowadays commonly associated with gothic culture.

Anyway, I could rant for hours on this topic. What were we talking about again? Oh right, gothic music exists. If you disagree then you are just ignorant and should brush up on some music history. Starting with buying some CDs by Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and so on.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree. That was my point.

VampyrRose said:
I still don't see how they are "black metal's version" of anything. They aren't black metal.

And Roadrunner (despite being a shitty label) never ruined them at all, they've been on the decline for years. I wouldn't say Nymphetamine is horrible. I love their first 4 albums, yet I can still enjoy their last few even though its obvious their glory days died years ago. However you must take into consideration, the amount of line-up changes - this obviously has impacted the band. Dani Filth is the only one who's been there from the beginning, aside from Paul who left and later re-joined the fold.
I have to somewhat disagree with you they always had black metal
elements in their music up to Midian. They were a bit of a hybrid like
my finnish brothers The True Black Dawn.

KMADD said:
I have to somewhat disagree with you they always had black metal
elements in their music up to Midian. They were a bit of a hybrid like
my finnish brothers The True Black Dawn.

Ok, I agree they have had some black metal influence in their music - for sure on their first album which is arguably black metal. However they completely changed their style when they released From the Cradle to Enslave. I have not heard any black metal influence in their music since then. However, I don't that is sufficient enough for them to be regarded as 'Black Metal's version' of anything - certainly not the 'BM's version of Linkin Park' as someone said earlier. But certainly they play their own style, thus it is hard to to label them in any genre and its pointless to do so anyway.

CAIRATH said:
Apparently you don't. There is no such thing as "symphonic hard core metal". That label is just ridiculous. Furthermore saying that there is no such thing as gothic music is even more retarded. Apparently you have no fucking clue what gothic really means (hint: it has nothing to do with Hot Topic or Evanescence). Though I wouldn't label CoF as gothic music as such. But extreme gothic metal or something like that is a fitting label I suppose.

I never said symphonic metal was a genre asshole, it just plainly explains how they play. And there is no goddamn thing such as "goth", if there is, then what is it if your so goddamn smart?