custom snare sample (joey sturgis snare 1)

Thought I'd jump on the Sturgis bandwagon. Got the sub drop (something I reckon I'll never use) and the snare. Downloading now. Cheers man

Here is a quick mix i made today. I really suck at giving the snare drum the big OOMPH it deserves.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113488/Sturgis Snare.mp3

IMO i only like how it sounds after the buildup halfway through but whatever

Sounds like you have a compressor on the snare, honestly you don't need one... And of course if you don't then maybe I'm hearing bus compression

Maybe look at your two bus chain if you've got nothing on the snare. This snare is massive. I'm finding that in my mixes, I have to turn it down in comparison to SSD snares. It's just loud as crap!

Good news and bad news, dudes:

Good news, kontakt got back to me (must have been closed for the weekend)

Bad news is, the pricing isn't cheap. Basically it works on a minimum order quantity basis

I was presented with an example, let's say I forecast selling a thousand units, each unit would need one serial. Each serial would cost me around 12 dollars. So to get the first set of serials at a minimum order quantity of 1000 units, it would cost me 12 thousand dollars.

I don't want to get into real numbers here, but let's just say my store has only grossed a small fraction of that.

So in order to have kontakt player support (which you as a customer will definitely want) I need to increase my customer base a lot.

I am willing to do this because this would be huge for me and my customers. But I can't do it unless the business makes the money by it's self. So I guess it's up to me and maybe you guys to help me get more customers. If anyone has any connections in ad services and marketing, hook me up!

I just discovered this thread and I was actually planning on buying SSD but now I'm rethinking. ;)

Samples sound really good so far. Will there be a full kit? (sorry if this question was asked already)

I like the idea of having a full drumset, already mixed/ready to put in a mix.
But I guess at some point people will be fed up with the sound (just like it happened with DFH and is happening with SSD) since it will be easy to recognize, that your samples were used and all mixes will end up sounding the same (more or less).

So I think you should seriously consider offering unprocessed samples as well at some point.

I mean, for people like me, who are doing this as a hobby and aren't earning a lot (if any) money with it, the solution with the processed samples is perfect. :)

I just discovered this thread and I was actually planning on buying SSD but now I'm rethinking. ;)

Samples sound really good so far. Will there be a full kit? (sorry if this question was asked already)

I like the idea of having a full drumset, already mixed/ready to put in a mix.
But I guess at some point people will be fed up with the sound (just like it happened with DFH and is happening with SSD) since it will be easy to recognize, that your samples were used and all mixes will end up sounding the same (more or less).

So I think you should seriously consider offering unprocessed samples as well at some point.

I mean, for people like me, who are doing this as a hobby and aren't earning a lot (if any) money with it, the solution with the processed samples is perfect. :)

I will consider it. But the pricing will have to be different when offering so many options with the product. To keep the pricing low, it has got to be basic.

Most likely we will just offer the option to pay more to get more.

thats the ways its always going to have to be hah

glad u got in touch with kontakt, hopefully someone on here will have some contacts and can help get your name out so u can afford those liscences..id be all over that.

I will consider it. But the pricing will have to be different when offering so many options with the product. To keep the pricing low, it has got to be basic.

Most likely we will just offer the option to pay more to get more.

Yeah, that's what I was kinda implying; I wouldn't expect someone to offer more for the same price. ;)

Well the raw samples are already recorded and sitting on your hard drive all cut up anyways right? I can see charging a bit more for the time to drag and drop them into the zip folder but even if your time is worth $150/hr that's only adding another $1 to the price...

Well the raw samples are already recorded and sitting on your hard drive all cut up anyways right? I can see charging a bit more for the time to drag and drop them into the zip folder but even if your time is worth $150/hr that's only adding another $1 to the price...

Not exactly. The snare is premixed. In order to give it to you unmixed, you would need the top mic, the bottom mic, the overheads, and the room channels, all seperately. And to have those separately means the following :

1. Bigger file size
2. More bandwidth
3. Possibly Copy Protection (kontakt player encrypted to protect from stealing)

Which would mean including raw in the final package, hence a serial / seat generation needed. If we don't do that, then there is danger of pirating. With a low cost to the customer, there is practically no pirating. As soon as the price increases, we have to start protecting or people will just download it.

We could offer raw with the current infrastructure, but the size / hassle problem still exists. (that's five or six separate bounces per hit, some drums having 24 hits or more, that's like 100 bounces per drum.) this increases the size by a multiple of six!

Still not the biggest deal on the world, but you can see how it starts to add up.

What we ideally would like to do is just have a serial per customer, kontakt player support structure, and customer could change what instruments he has via account / $$. So you could start off with just one snare or Tom or cymbal, and just keep growing as you can afford more. But ultimately I dont think we will get to do that because I don't think it fits into the kontakt serial generation model.