custom snare sample (joey sturgis snare 1)

Fair enough when it comes to bandwidth. I just think maybe it is best to leave SOME room for mix specific processing. If the samples are already "mix ready" and processed to hell and back, there is no room to do further processing to get it to fit your actual mix without degrading the quality of the sample. Trying to EQ things back that were taken out doesn't sound as good as just not taking them out in the first place right?

I'm not necessarily advocating giving totally raw samples with all the separate mics as separate files, but I don't want to be stuck not being able to add some of my own compression or EQ because there is so much already baked into the file, get what I mean?

I think combining all the mics into one file is totally fine, then maybe add a little bit of your own touch to get it sounding cool but I want a sample that sounds like a tool I can use to shape into my mix, not something where it sounds like the mix was totally finished and then everything was muted except the snare and the tracks are bounced out from there.

What about just including 2 versions per pack in the future, one "all mics combined, relatively raw for sculpting in your own mix" version, and one "drop it in and it'll sound great but if something isn't perfect there's no room to tweak it" version? I'll be honest, most of my favourite samples are just one shots from the Alesis D4, because there is still a lot of room to compress and EQ them. They are just single files, no multi mics, no multisamples, no multivelocities, but I can still do a ton with them. I get more mileage out of those one shots than I do with the overly processed to fuck Slate snares that don't leave me any room to tailor to the mix!

Either way I'm stoked on your sample man, they sound great and I'm looking forward to hearing more! Please don't go the Slate route of turning this into a Kontakt Player/drum programming based endeavour, lots of dudes here want to blend these samples with real drums or replace real drums so WAVs/GOGs/TCI files definitely have a huge market.

I tried the Sturgis snare on a riff I recorded today: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/992713/ronixis_tonetest_with_sturgis_snare.mp3
Any opinions? Rest of the kit is SSD (including snare bleed on room channels). There's also a hint of Paramore snare blended in. Haven't checked it with monitors yet, so I'm not 100 % sure of the balance.

Haha I watched your purchase unfold at my desk lol

Awesome mix so far. Sounds brutal.

Have you tried my toms? They would sound great here, and would offer you a little more bottom end / body in comparison to the toms used in your clip.

Thanks Joey! I might get the toms too in the near future since I've yet to find a decent sounding Slate tom sample.

Thanks Joey! I might get the toms too in the near future since I've yet to find a decent sounding Slate tom sample.

I know the feeling! I've had to use a very narrow selection of toms from ssd due to bad ring and overtones that just don't work in my type of mixes

Rest assure there will be many more samples to come. I have a new kit in my studio every month or so. Sometimes more often than that. I will selling samples from every kit that rolls through here from now on.

Congrats Joey on your startup endeavor. Sounds really great and I will have to pick this up soon. One idea I have - you could always do things old-school DFH 1.0 style and include pre-built Battery Kit files for Battery users to load, for example.

I honestly would love you doing a kick sample Joey, there aren't that many kicks that I'm really in to... and seeing how good your snare and tom samples sound, you might end up with a great kick as well. I'm saving some money to get the whole package, so be sure, you have another customer 'nd I will certainly spread the word!

Kazrog said:
Congrats Joey on your startup endeavor. Sounds really great and I will have to pick this up soon. One idea I have - you could always do things old-school DFH 1.0 style and include pre-built Battery Kit files for Battery users to load, for example.

+1

Firetune Studio said:
I honestly would love you doing a kick sample Joey, there aren't that many kicks that I'm really in to... and seeing how good your snare and tom samples sound, you might end up with a great kick as well. I'm saving some money to get the whole package, so be sure, you have another customer 'nd I will certainly spread the word!

+1

any chance of getting the cymbals as .nkis for the full version of kontakt still? or have you decided on just trying to get enough buyers to use a kontakt player?

Hey I thew these in a mix the other day and it came out pretty good. I'm really digging the toms. was trying out slates trigger so I could only put single hits in. snare is a little loud in the mix but we were kinda rushed on it. (tracked and mix 2 songs 1 day)
the snare is blended with slate/ the toms are the detuned toms 1 & 2
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/BLOOD IN BLOOD OUT-Wasted Again.mp3?w=47c071d9

Cool, sounds good. Do you have any guess on when they'll be available?

I am hoping to launch the first cymbal pack in the first week of June.

First, we will be offering the cymbals from the first Miss May I cd, and the new/now Miss May I cd.

And in the following month after that, I will release the following:

A Plea For Purging (newest cd)
Before Their Eyes (newest cd)

and maybe more. and then the big pack of cymbals will come right after that (the wcar pack) which includes a really cool set of zibels that were perfectly dissonant by nature, and three different splash cymbals, exchangeable crash cymbals, dual hi hat, and multiple chinas!

all of this will be offered in the following formats:

1. wav (multi samples of every articulation)
2. battery (full featured)
3. kontakt (full version) (full featured)
4. gog (positional only ie: must automate "position" changing to access articulations)

"full featured" means that the cymbals are scripted to work like they do in drum sampling programs ie: when you send a pedal command to a hi hat, the hi hat stops ringing out... or when you send a choke command to a crash, the crash ringing out will stop. we also offer a "shut off" command which fades any cymbals ringing out by over 500 ms

this is useful for when your coming out of a drum beat and you want to choke the china cymbal, but the hi hat and ride is still ringing out, which makes the "pause" less effective. with our scripting, you can send the stop command just before the choke, and the cymbals will quickly fade out as the choke is happening. the fade is used because a sudden "silencing" of the cymbals would sound too unnatural and fake.