Dark fucking Throne!

The Cult Is Alive is sounding more badass than ever atm. :kickass: Underdogs And Overlords is a sinister fucking cut.

I just did a search for "Darkthrone NWOBHM," and one of the results was cduniverse, which said it's going to be released on October 9th. I'm guessing a domestic release. Good, I don't feel like paying in pounds for an EP. :erk:

The Cult Is Alive is sounding more badass than ever atm. :kickass: Underdogs And Overlords is a sinister fucking cut.

How fucking grim is Culto's vocal performance on that song. :kickass:, and the chord progression in the second half of the song is just pure gold.

I just did a search for "Darkthrone NWOBHM," and one of the results was cduniverse, which said it's going to be released on October 9th. I'm guessing a domestic release. Good, I don't feel like paying in pounds for an EP. :erk:

That EP is worth it for Hedninger Fra Helvete alone. Fucking amazing song'

As for me, I'm grimming out to Command right now :kickass:

If anything, FOAD is a step towards true Black Metal in ways we have never seen since Bathory. It is an inverse progression. Perhaps I sound full of shit, but I believe Darkthrone have just released the single most important Black Metal album since the 90's. With FOAD, they have taught everyone a lesson in true Black Metal spirit.
Yes, you are insane. Now I've only heard the EP - sure it's fun, and "Canadian Metal" isn't quite as retarded once you figure out what it's about, but how the hell is this in any way important? It's retro with some inside jokes.

It's important because it's a major player in the field attempting to recapture and reclaim the origins of the form of music.

With FOAD, they have taught everyone a lesson in true Black Metal spirit.

Most importantly, the "I don't give a fuck about anyone else" attitude that comes through is real.They're not trying to be anything other than themselves.

Sounds like a new gimmick, and the underline part is funny I believe ...anyway I prefer listening to Motorhead for "produced-in-one-weekend" metal.

Sounds like a new gimmick, and the underline part is funny I believe ...anyway I prefer listening to Motorhead for "produced-in-one-weekend" metal.

I don't think it sounds like a gimmick, they've always had that mentality and I that's one reason why I've always respected Darkthrone. They're doing what they want to do as opposed to trying to be 'black metal.'

From the current trends in Black Metal, obviously.
I see, had a little trouble with your phrasing there.

Seems like they're just jumping on a trend themselves, I could see it as being "important" if they were doing something new. At this point it really feels like they just made a fun record in a style that has pretty well been done to death, with self-referential humour thrown in. Sort of reminds me of The Darkness, if The Darkness had been big in the 1970s/80s before their recent bout of popularity.

I don't think it sounds like a gimmick, they've always had that mentality and I that's one reason why I've always respected Darkthrone. They're doing what they want to do as opposed to trying to be 'black metal.'

Probably but I think music should be bought/loved regardless of the band members.

I mean, are you listening to it because you love who's behind the instruments or because you love the music?... sadly the first option is probably the truth.

Probably but I think music should be bought/loved regardless of the band members.

I mean, are you listening to it because you love who's behind the instruments or because you love the music?... sadly the first option is probably the truth.

No actually I think the new album is pretty good, it was actually a 'pleasant surprise' for me this year. And I don't like all Darkthrone albums, and I don't like all albums by bands who I listen to regardless of how much I like the band. However I definitely have respect for Darkthrone.

I see, had a little trouble with your phrasing there.

Seems like they're just jumping on a trend themselves, I could see it as being "important" if they were doing something new. At this point it really feels like they just made a fun record in a style that has pretty well been done to death, with self-referential humour thrown in. Sort of reminds me of The Darkness, if The Darkness had been big in the 1970s/80s before their recent bout of popularity.

I find there to be two particular points regarding Darkthrone's current output that I believe can be considered important. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, but this is the way that I see it.

1) The fact that they are not doing something new or even trying something new but actively regressing further and further into the origins of the genre reflects an interest in the band's part to remind people just where this music came from. There is quite a disconnect especially among the younger fans between what they hear now and what was out there back when Black Metal was new. This is of particular importance to me, though I know it's insiginficant to others.

2) The attitude that they display through their output is a refreshing change from what we normally get in today's Black Metal, which often takes itself far, far too seriously. Darkthrone's music is extremely relaxed and fully devoid of pretension, which can't be said of most of the practitioners of this style today. Darkthrone represents the spirit of the old days, essentially, and is a giant middle finger in the face of all of the little kiddies singing about orthodox satanism or skipping through a forest with an ax for no other reason than the fact that that is what the musical paradigm in which they work dictates.

today's Black Metal, which often takes itself far, far too seriously

Darkthrone took themselves seriously before 1995 you know... they can't blame newer bands to do the same, if they started as a parody.... I don't think they would have come this far.

They were still serious and most of their fans took them seriously..... remembers when the darkthrone.no website was close for 1 years because the forum there was filled with crazy satanic people and tons of war thread? I think it was in 2000-2001 when people believed that darkthrone were still a satanic band.

1) The fact that they are not doing something new or even trying something new but actively regressing further and further into the origins of the genre reflects an interest in the band's part to remind people just where this music came from. There is quite a disconnect especially among the younger fans between what they hear now and what was out there back when Black Metal was new. This is of particular importance to me, though I know it's insiginficant to others.
I don't really go for this. It's retro. It's Wolfmother.

2) The attitude that they display through their output is a refreshing change from what we normally get in today's Black Metal, which often takes itself far, far too seriously. Darkthrone's music is extremely relaxed and fully devoid of pretension, which can't be said of most of the practitioners of this style today. Darkthrone represents the spirit of the old days, essentially, and is a giant middle finger in the face of all of the little kiddies singing about orthodox satanism or skipping through a forest with an ax for no other reason than the fact that that is what the musical paradigm in which they work dictates.
This I feel a bit more; Darkthrone now is all about the attitude since there's nothing new about the music. But who do you think is the target, modern trend black metal or bedroom black as you seem to allude to in this post? I would think they're after the Cradles and Dimmus of the world more than the underground. The musical direction seems an attack against the "mainstream", at least.