Dark fucking Throne!

I was re-reading some of these posts and I disagree with alot of it.
I don't even know how there can be a best one.
Get all of them and listen to them all or you'll never know.
Darkthrone kicks so much ass it's nearly impossible.

I was just think about what Fenriz would say if he say this thread. He would hate it with such passion.

Anyways F.O.A.D is great. There is really no crust punk this time around. Its more metal(classic metal...) now. I wonder what the next album will sound like...

I love the fact that they continue to not give a shit about what anyone else thinks, and just do what they want to do. Personally, I think when viewed from a certain perspective, it shows that in terms of Black Metal culture, they are still leaps and bounds ahead of the pack, and that is possibly because they're not "trying" to be a certain way, rather it's simply the way they are.

I love the fact that they continue to not give a shit about what anyone else thinks, and just do what they want to do. Personally, I think when viewed from a certain perspective, it shows that in terms of Black Metal culture, they are still leaps and bounds ahead of the pack, and that is possibly because they're not "trying" to be a certain way, rather it's simply the way they are.

Yea, but at this point they are not black metal...

The album cover is really cool.

I don't know if I'm going to get this, not being that big a fan of older metal styles. I got TCIA after a lot of people here said it was quite good, and I listened to it maybe four times and never touched it again. I'll probably wait a few months and see if this one has more staying power.

Hubster, ur confusing me.

They are simply using different influences to what they did before, and sure, they're not wearing paint and taking photos at night, but they're fucking still grimmer than 90% of other bands out there and continue to produce top quality, dirty Black Metal. Darkthrone are as every bit Black Metal as they were when they began.

Yea, but at this point they are not black metal...

exactly, I can't hear a single black metal riffs or whatever in this release. it's Heavy Metal and that's it.

it's like people calling Alcest's new album black metal, it simply isn't.

exactly, I can't hear a single black metal riffs or whatever in this release. it's Heavy Metal and that's it.

Yea. I mean its a fucking great album. I mean Darkthrone really did it again, but it just it not metal and people need to see that. Of course they are grimmer that 100% of all bands but it is not black metal. Even at this point Darkthrone says its all relative on what genre they are.

I don't think you can compare FOAD and Alcest's new one. FOAD is just as Black Metal as TCIA was, its just that the personality is different. The foundations though, are the same, as they always have been with Darkthrone.

Sorry but I totally disagree. FOAD is *very* Black Metal, that is, Darkthrone's Black Metal - the kind that only Culto & Fenriz could produce.

FOAD's riffs are heavy metal, yes. But the production, vocals, the grime in the album, the ATTITUDE is TOTAL Black Metal.

If anything, FOAD is a step towards true Black Metal in ways we have never seen since Bathory. It is an inverse progression. Perhaps I sound full of shit, but I believe Darkthrone have just released the single most important Black Metal album since the 90's. With FOAD, they have taught everyone a lesson in true Black Metal spirit.

I don't think you can compare FOAD and Alcest's new one. FOAD is just as Black Metal as TCIA was, its just that the personality is different. The foundations though, are the same, as they always have been with Darkthrone.

Sorry but I totally disagree. FOAD is *very* Black Metal, that is, Darkthrone's Black Metal - the kind that only Culto & Fenriz could produce.

FOAD's riffs are heavy metal, yes. But the production, vocals, the grime in the album, the ATTITUDE is TOTAL Black Metal.

If anything, FOAD is a step towards true Black Metal in ways we have never seen since Bathory. It is an inverse progression. Perhaps I sound full of shit, but I believe Darkthrone have just released the single most important Black Metal album since the 90's. With FOAD, they have taught everyone a lesson in true Black Metal spirit.

Thats a quite a claim you are making, but I must say No. Darkthrone has put out a amazing record. No doubt. Fenriz and Culto put out a good metal album. ITS JUST DIRTY HEAVY METAL AT THIS POINT. Sure we could debate that the attitude is black metal but that would lead us to a ton of more sub-debates. Though I respect your view, I think that you are trying force this idea that Darkthrone is proving what black metal is in 2007.