Dark fucking Throne!

They're ok, never connected with me. Soulside Journey I must've heard ten times and I can't recall a single note off of it.

"Cromlech" is the only song on it that I really find memorable.

My favorite album of theirs, though, is Under a Funeral Moon. I love those mysterious-sounding riffs in the beginning.

So... it is a joke? I mean, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be fun(ny) but I can't tell if they're trying to be a Venom parody or who exactly they are trying to make fun of.

I don't think it is really a joke so much as it is Fenriz and Nocturno Culto just doing what they feel like doing, in an, I suppose, Motorhead-esque way of sorts. Just having fun playin' with their influences.

There were remastered versions of the first four released a few years ago. How do they sound compared to the older recordings?.. if someone owns them.

So... it is a joke? I mean, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be fun(ny) but I can't tell if they're trying to be a Venom parody or who exactly they are trying to make fun of.

They have kind of been doing that since Blaze. Everything after Soulside Journey was a parody of sorts of Celtic Frost/Bathory/Venom, who they probably discovered after Soulside (which I enjoy a lot) and became obsessed.

I highly doubt that they didn't know about those bands beforehand, especially Celtic Frost, whom Autopsy worshiped, whom Darkthrone worshiped.

They have kind of been doing that since Blaze. Everything after Soulside Journey was a parody of sorts of Celtic Frost/Bathory/Venom...
How so? Their early stuff seems to have a certain level of seriousness at least, the motivations behind the music appears to have changed significantly over the years. Where the first albums have an aura of innocence about them the latest offerings seem far more self-aware.

They have kind of been doing that since Blaze. Everything after Soulside Journey was a parody of sorts of Celtic Frost/Bathory/Venom, who they probably discovered after Soulside (which I enjoy a lot) and became obsessed.

Parody is definitely the wrong word, tribute would be closer but darkthrone still is just fucking darkthrone, and they wear their influences on their sleeves with pride.

The new album is going to seriously kick some ass if the EP is anything to go by - that second half of Hedninger Fra Helvete is worth buying the EP alone, it clearly shows that not only does Culto still "have it", but he's coming up with better ideas than ever.

I already said it but Katharsis > newer Darkthrone
if you don't believe me, I uploaded a song to proove what I'm saying.

Katharsis - A.R.I.I.O.T.H.

Where the hell can I find the new EP in the US? The only place I see to get it is from Snapper Music in the UK, is this exclusive or something?

FOAD FUCKEN RULES

... and I yes I know I posted this in the Black Metal thread, but FOAD DOES RULE!!!

FenrizFOAD02.jpg

OK Darkthroners, rate for me all the bands albums from best to worst so I know what my priorities are. I've only heard the Blaze-Moon-Hunger trio and wasn't impressed with Soulside Journey.

Alright, excluding them, then.

Panzerfaust
Total Death
Plaguewielder
Sardonic Wrath
Hate Them
The Cult Is Alive
Ravishing Grimness (though still good!)

Looks like a logical assessment, though I was also considering working my way backwards starting with their recent stuff, just to get something more fresh. How F.O.A.D. fits into this list may affect my decision.