Dark fucking Throne!

Let's move about a little... thoughts on Plaguewielder people?

Seriously underrated in my opinion, it's an excellent album that doesn't get enough worship because it's after the mega killer best stuff but earlier than the new stuff.

I still have only heard Canadian Metal off the new stuff, need to get it

The problem Darkthrone has is that they peaked with their style on, "Transilvanian Hunger". Neither they, or any other band, were going to top that album with that particular style.

Panzerfaust was Celtic Frost worship, and Total Death was similiar.

They should have hung up the guitars and drum sticks at that point, or changed musical styles completely.

They're the best,
Fenriz is the best,my favourite in every fucking thing he does!
My first black metal band I listened to,and the last I wanna listen to when I'll die.
Just two words: Dark Throne.

I can't say I agree on the "common" view of Darkthrone having died in the ass after the first four. If anything, while the first four have their place, and provided the foundation for many, I dare say that Culto & Fenriz realised "their job was done" and have been simply enjoying playing music and paying respect to their influences ever since. Infact, their later works flesh out the black metal ideas and almost educate us more on what their true entity of black metal is about.

The move from death to black metal was the best thing they could have done - think of all the bands who would not exist were it not for Darkthrone.

I find it quite upsetting though, that their later works are slagged so much. I feel that up to this very day, Darkthrone are still more grim than almost every other band in the black metal sphere, and they do it just by being themselves and being true to their ideals.

The new album is going to seriously kick some ass if the EP is anything to go by - that second half of Hedninger Fra Helvete is worth buying the EP alone, it clearly shows that not only does Culto still "have it", but he's coming up with better ideas than ever. Their new works may be more heavy metal and punk influenced, but if anything I truly believe that after 15 years Darkthrone are leaps ahead of the pack and really make you realise how fake the pretenders really are.

I prefer the later works of Darkthrone, probably only really enjoying Panzerfaust to any huge degree from their entire catalogue. I can only really ascribe this to being an immense and unrepentant faggot and general opponent to Black Metalism.

That being said, Darkthrone remain one of those bands that I wish I could enjoy more than I actually do. Maybe one day I'll give their stuff another spin and it will "click". Then again...

I prefer the later works of Darkthrone, probably only really enjoying Panzerfaust to any huge degree from their entire catalogue. I can only really ascribe this to being an immense and unrepentant faggot and general opponent to Black Metalism.

That being said, Darkthrone remain one of those bands that I wish I could enjoy more than I actually do. Maybe one day I'll give their stuff another spin and it will "click". Then again...

Welcome back man, the whole forum missed you if you could believe it.

Darkthrone is a great band but I haven't listened to them a lot lately but I'm with you, I mostly listen to Panzerfaust from these guys.

Never much cared for this band, early or new. I'm a big fan of Neptune Towers though.

What's with the new stuff though ("Canadian Metal"), is this just supposed to be retro joke metal or am I missing something? I'm seriously getting a "our fans our stupid, let's make fun of them" vibe from that track. What's the deal?

I really can't believe that. Why don't you like them?
They're ok, never connected with me. Soulside Journey I must've heard ten times and I can't recall a single note off of it. Their other classics are a bit more fun but I never feel the urge to listen to them. Which is weird because I really like their "attitude" and whatnot (although this latest turn, as I mentioned, makes me wonder).

You need to give that album some time and stop being a shallow faggot. Soulside Journey is one of the best death metal albums ever created.

What's with the new stuff though ("Canadian Metal"), is this just supposed to be retro joke metal or am I missing something? I'm seriously getting a "our fans our stupid, let's make fun of them" vibe from that track. What's the deal?

Sex with Satan, the loudest song!
SOUNDS LIKE A HAMMER FROM HELL!

Darkthrone truly are the fist in the face of poseurs, and you, sir, just got punched.

So... it is a joke? I mean, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be fun(ny) but I can't tell if they're trying to be a Venom parody or who exactly they are trying to make fun of.

they are pretty fucking sweet there better then most other early black metal that just copies dark thrones awesomeness