Dark fucking Throne!

Darkthrone are as every bit Black Metal as they were when they began.

When Darkthrone began they were death metal tbh. :loco:

Anyway, I'd definitely say it's black metal, but it is in that rocking style with punk influence and even heavy metal influences (very obvious ones!)...

I'm curious as to how the new album sounds. Could someone upload, or direct me to, a sample from it? I checked their myspace and it's still in TCIA-mode.

It's funny how people who have very little conception of Black Metal and its origins up until the beginning of the second wave are claiming that Darkthrone is no longer Black Metal.

It's funny how people who have very little conception of Black Metal and its origins up until the beginning of the second wave are claiming that Darkthrone is no longer Black Metal.

If you are directing that to me than you are wrong. I know my origins.

I read that Havohej recorded one of their eps(?) in the back of a van. Now thats a fucking pity. That is taking the idea of Darkthrone's production to far.

It doesn't sound like most other Black Metal I've heard.More like 80' Black Metal mixed with stronger other metal influences.
Doesn't sound like 90's Black Metal at all.Definitely not like their previous albums.

When Darkthrone began they were death metal tbh. :loco:

Anyway, I'd definitely say it's black metal, but it is in that rocking style with punk influence and even heavy metal influences (very obvious ones!)...

:lol: I was waiting for you to say that. Cmon V mate, you know what I'm talking about :)

If you are directing that to me than you are wrong. I know my origins.

I agree with Necuratul here - I question your knowledge strongly (no offence of course not trying to start a fight mate).

Describing where Darkthrone are going these days is no easy task, but I strongly feel they are well within the Black Metal realm, but are exploring elements which usually contribute to (primitive) Black Metal as a whole. The difference is that they are outputting their "research" in the form of Black Metal, infact, almost proto-Black Metal.

There is no point in comparing their current direction with Black Metal's typical characteristics of today. To accuretly assess the work, one needs to go back in time, to a more simplified approach.

Take for instance the first few Bathory albums. Do they sound typical of the Black Metal of today? No, of course not. If anything, early Bathory, excluding the philosophy, is more Heavy Metal than anything else.

Darkthrone today has more in common with that approach than it does the approach taken of todays general Black Metal bands. The approach is an inverse one, to the roots of grimmness, dirt and misanthropy, and it has been this way pretty much since Panzerfaust, but more obviously so since TCIA.

Punk (TCIA) and Heavy Metal (NWOBHM EP and FOAD) are essential parts of the "old" or true Black Metal. That is, before the blastbeats, before the ultra fast tremolo picking, before the refining thin vocal styles, and before the "set" philosophical rules that arer defacto today. It is from this perspective that you need to assess FOAD, to shift your thinking back in time.

Darkthrone's experimentation now is no different in essence to what they did on their first two Black Metal records, and no different again to what Venom did with the Black Metal album. The approach is the same, but the difference is that Venom and Bathory for example, were still formulating the philosophy. Fenriz and Culto have been living the philosophy for almost 20 years, they have it down to a point where it is as natural for them as breathing, and the philsophy is every bit as important as the musical output, especially in their case.

Musically speaking, the first two Darkthrone Black Metal records were structurally more primitive than FOAD or TCIA, but in terms of musical history and Black Metal ideals, FOAD or TCIA are more primitive than the first two Darkthrone Black Metal records were. If anything, I say the first two and last two have now achieved an equilibrium of sorts, in a way, depending on how you look at it, Darkthrone have actually come full circle.

I especially like the dichotomy they present where they are playing the same style of music they are singing about...

I wish there was a brutal death metal band who played in the style of, let's say, Human Waste era Suffocation and had song titles like "New York Death Metal" and "At The Gates Of Slam". It would be totally bad-fucking-ass!

And yes, Hub, I knew what you were talking about :)

Yeah I suppose...kind of silly though...this would have to be like total unabashed early slam/breakdown-laden death + grind worship.