Dark fucking Throne!

Parody because, like thisisaformicatable said, they pretty much reminds me of The Darkness.

It's more or less retro by definition; I wouldn't really say parody. Making music in an old style as a tribute to that style isn't a parody it's...retro.

They still won't replace Bathory as pionner of black metal in my heart... no matter how grim and cool they're trying to act.

Who the hell said anything about replacing the pioneers, as if that was even possible? It's just a matter of hearkening back to the times in which they were raised, the time that they feel represents the true spirit of Black Metal.

It's more or less retro by definition; I wouldn't really say parody. Making music in an old style as a tribute to that style isn't a parody it's...retro.

Denotatively, yes, but not connotatively, which is what you meant by citing The Darkness and Wolfmother.

Absolutely not. If you can't see the difference yourself, then I'm not going to get carpal tunnel trying to show you.

One of them actually knows what they're doing, has been doing it for years, is doing it for themselves and not as a trend for money, etc?

One of them actually knows what they're doing, has been doing it for years, is doing it for themselves and not as a trend for money, etc?
Ok, those all sound like "because I like them better" except for "doing it for years" which I don't get; are you alluding to the Celtic Frost worship of their early work?

I find there to be two particular points regarding Darkthrone's current output that I believe can be considered important. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, but this is the way that I see it.

1) The fact that they are not doing something new or even trying something new but actively regressing further and further into the origins of the genre reflects an interest in the band's part to remind people just where this music came from. There is quite a disconnect especially among the younger fans between what they hear now and what was out there back when Black Metal was new. This is of particular importance to me, though I know it's insiginficant to others.

2) The attitude that they display through their output is a refreshing change from what we normally get in today's Black Metal, which often takes itself far, far too seriously. Darkthrone's music is extremely relaxed and fully devoid of pretension, which can't be said of most of the practitioners of this style today. Darkthrone represents the spirit of the old days, essentially, and is a giant middle finger in the face of all of the little kiddies singing about orthodox satanism or skipping through a forest with an ax for no other reason than the fact that that is what the musical paradigm in which they work dictates.

Exactly, and additionally their act is anti-trend, with today's trend being that of trying to be Black Metal. Quite honestly, I find Darkthrone are alone in the way the do things. They're becoming, or have become, unpredictable in their interests.

Dodens, if I end up in your neighbourhood in my travels, be sure to remind me to buy you a few drinks for that post. Well said.

Unlike many other bands (inclusive of the second wave itself), Darkthrone are not trying to sound Black Metal. They're mixing a belief with Heavy Metal, which is exactly what Venom and Bathory were doing in the first place.

Fenriz & Culto are making Black Metal in the same way that the pioneers did, and no one else today is using that approach because they're too busy trying to be tough.

Additionally, Fenriz & Culto's output of the last few years is starting to show, and dare I say it, maturity. Personally, I think they are at the peak of their creative powers and have been for a while.

The problem for many people who don't understand their motives, is that they get upset because Darkthrone aren't delivering the style of Black Metal they did back in the early 90s. That gets the majority of listeners upset because the modern(ish) version of Black metal is what they want.

Darkthrone is for the self, not for the fan of Darkthrone, but for the fan of true metal. Fenriz & Culto are simply sharing their music passion with other people, and because of their understanding of the second wave, being themselves pioneers, they are able to produce their influences in the strict Black Metal fashion. They seem to have an understanding which 99% of Black Metal bands today lack.

Ok, those all sound like "because I like them better" except for "doing it for years" which I don't get; are you alluding to the Celtic Frost worship of their early work?

If that is what it sounds like to you, then you're an idiot, sorry.[/refraining from carpal tunnel]

Fenriz & Culto are making Black Metal in the same way that the pioneers did, and no one else today is using that approach because they're too busy trying to be tough.
If you were to say no one *popular* was using that approach I might agree, but it isn't like Darkthrone is the first band to play old school black metal in 20 years. Honestly, you come off as a raging fanboy throughout this thread ;).

The problem for many people who don't understand their motives, is that they get upset because Darkthrone aren't delivering the style of Black Metal they did back in the early 90s. That gets the majority of listeners upset because the modern(ish) version of Black metal is what they want.
This is probably true, I hope I'm not coming off like this - I get what they're doing, I like the EP, I hate "modern" black metal as much as anyone. I'm just skeptical of the most important album of the decade claim, when what we have at heart is again, some fun self-aware retro metal.

If that is what it sounds like to you, then you're an idiot, sorry.[/refraining from carpal tunnel]
:rolleyes: I'm making reference to the classic Darkthrone attitude we're discussing:

"Darkthrone has never tried to be original, but just tried to pay homage to Bathory and Celtic Frost and Hellhammer."
- Fenriz, 2003