Dark fucking Throne!

You're missing the boat. It's not about bands who are "tough." It's about bands who take themselves far too damn seriously and bands and fans who have forgotten where we came from. In other words, bands like Drudkh, Deathspell Omega, Alcest, etc.

And Malefic doesn't have a "fuck you" attitude expressed in his music, rather a "woe is me my life totally sux0rz weres ma razor" attitude. We're talking about an overtly expressed ideology embedded within the music, not some inborn emotion that gets bottled up inside and causes some asshole to burn down a church.

The very fact that you would use the phrase "childish and alcoholic behavior" demonstrates your complete missing the point of Darkthrone's current stage. You're the person Darkthrone is saying fuck you to. And I bet that puts a smug little grin on your face to know that. And the fact that you can assume that Darkthrone is "offended" by comments on the internet by the fact that they release music is pretty amazing, since there's no connection between the two. And I'm pretty sure Darkthrone does care - they do care that Black Metal has moved too far from its roots and that people have forgotten them; they do care that people don't even know where the music that they listen to came from, and if they heard something like Bulldozer or Venom they would laugh and say that it had nothing to do with Black Metal. The fact that they do care about this is why they have a fuck you attitude. I don't think they really care what people think of them and their music, though, which is why they would say something like "nothing to prove." They don't need to prove anything. They're not on the defensive, they're on the offensive against the Black Metal trends that have turned their backs on their origins.

But then again you probably listened to The Cult Is Alive twice and never read the lyrics or really gave it any time because it repeats riffs more than once. :)

I'm completely lost here. You're talking about their attitude - I said I was fine with the attitude, but not them turning their music into a statement by shouting it out in their music. If you do this you're not making art - you're not even making music. There's a huge difference between the band having a fuck you attitude in their early releases, and USING that to create music, and an album which is an embodiment of that attitude. One is art, the other is not. Otherwise you'd have Vincent Van Gogh expressing his grief by writing in paint on canvas "I am in pain". This is how stupid I view the "nothing to prove" lyric. I once said in a well-reasoned post that music is not about expression - and I remember Hubster and others fully agreeing with me. I'm not going to bother digging that post up, but this is why i'm not interested in their newer releases.

Not only is that a vast oversimplification of Darkthrone's music, but your assertion of what is art and what is not amuses me greatly coming after your contention about who has the right to call something Death Metal and another not.

Why on which? The latter should be obvious enough, otherwise I'm going to ask you why I can't say that Opeth isn't Death Metal.

^From what I've heard. they have great songs but the song snot so great form the Unholy 3 dont live up to the hype. Blaze in The Northern Sky weill most likely be my first Darkthrone CD.

Because you're an idiot.

And where the fuck have I changed my argument? Do you even know what point I was trying to prove?

Show me where I changed my position on anything kthx.

And Darkthrone is Black Metal and you think Venom isn't Black Metal thus negating your opinion on the matter because that clearly demonstrates that you don't understand what Black Metal is (or was).

Show me where I changed my position on anything kthx.

And Darkthrone is Black Metal and you think Venom isn't Black Metal thus negating your opinion on the matter because that clearly demonstrates that you don't understand what Black Metal is (or was).

When did I say Venom was not black metal? Maybe MasterOLighting said that. I did not. Quote me please.

Nevermind, I was confusing you with Astrum, but you did say that "all there was" in older Black Metal was Venom and Bathory, which, again shows a great lack of understanding of the origins of the genre.

FOAD is enjoyable so far, although I think I'd rather listen to similar bands doing the old school thing without being so goofy about it. Anyone have links to interviews regarding this year's releases?

Darkthrone and the word parody have nothing in common.
Anyone else think "Splitkein Fever" might be NSBM parody? Just a thought based on the first few listens.