Dark fucking Throne!

I gave Soulside Journey a couple more listens lately, and I'm still of the opinion that nothing on that album touches the first song, though there is plenty of good material throughout it. "Cromlech" just totally blows me away, while the rest of the songs seem largely indistinguishable from the whole, aside from a few passages with somewhat more intricate riffage.

I'm going to listen to ABitNS again soon. I had a similar first impression of that album, with "Kathaarian Life Code" standing a head above everything else.

'Cromlech' is a pretty awesome song but I'd say the whole album just about matches up to it. The riff around 1:23 is absolutely killer, though!

The problem that people have with Soulside Journey is that the style is so well-expressed and impressed by the end of the first song that a lot of people just lose focus. If Cromlech wasn't the first track, I have a feeling that a lot less people would be saying that Cromlech was the only fucking amazing track on Soulside Journey.

While that's true, I still think it has a lot of the album's best riffs. Everything aside from that is pretty even across the whole album in my mind.

The problem that people have with Soulside Journey is that the style is so well-expressed and impressed by the end of the first song that a lot of people just lose focus. If Cromlech wasn't the first track, I have a feeling that a lot less people would be saying that Cromlech was the only fucking amazing track on Soulside Journey.

I'll admit those were my initial thoughts when I first listened to the album. Just about all the songs are fucking great but I agree that 'Cromlech' probably shouldn't have been at the beginning of the album.

Okay, ABitNS is a shitload better than I remember. I'm definitely liking it better than SJ. At the least, it doesn't seem to stop developing 5-10 minutes in like SJ does.

Could be,most people i know dont see Cromlech as the only hit though. I can imagine what you said happening if people just put the album on in the background. When you listen to the album as a whole with headphones though it's just one of many great tracks. Personally i dont see them as tracks though,it's more like a flow of music. Of a lot of the stuff i couldn't tell what part is in which song if someone asked me,i always remember just a while before each part. To me that makes the album less remembering(word?) but very enjoyable during the listening.

Upon further listening I think ABitNS might actually be their best, and I've come to like Panzerfaust as well. Soulside is still the shit, though.

While that's true, I still think it has a lot of the album's best riffs. Everything aside from that is pretty even across the whole album in my mind.

You have to not be a dumbass in order to fully appreciate Soulside Journey.

57620.jpg

1.The Winds They Called The Dungeon Shaker
2.Oath Minus
3.Hiking Metal Punx
4.Blacksmith Of The North
5.Norway In September
6.Grizzly Trade
7.Hanging Out In Haiger
8.Dark Thrones And Black Flags
9.Launchpad To Nothingness
10.Witch Ghetto

You have to not be a dumbass in order to fully appreciate Soulside Journey.

Considering that many of the songs are virtually interchangeable, and that there are so many musical ideas that are just recycled at numerous points throughout it, I think I'm entitled not to "fully appreciate" it if I want. I don't consider monotonousness something to be idolised.

There's way more variety in it that a lot of the things you do like, so I can't see why that would stop you.

Considering that many of the songs are virtually interchangeable, and that there are so many musical ideas that are just recycled at numerous points throughout it, I think I'm entitled not to "fully appreciate" it if I want. I don't consider monotonousness something to be idolised.

In virtue of what are they interchangeable? I'd like to know, because they certainly don't sound interchangeable to me. And exactly what musical ideas do they recycle throughout this album?

Don't even bother, Cythraul. The melodies aren't obvious enough for it to be a good album that isn't interchangeable and monotonous.