Dark fucking Throne!

Apologies for the major derailment here, but I really liked what I heard of Bartok's work for strings during my music class. Any suggestions for commercially available Bartok performances?

Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
Six String Quartets
Piano Concertos 1-3

I saw some recommending going on. Couldn't be fucked reading all the above posts, but I didn't like Darkthrone for ages, until I listened to Soulside Journey. That's a good album, albeit death metal. I've tried (unsuccessfully) Transilvanian Hunger and bits and pieces of other albums so if you are having problems getting into them perhaps start with Soulside.

That being said, I probably have more respect for this band than most of the bands I like. They carry themselves quite well in interviews, appear intelligent, genuine and down to earth overall.

Man those two albums are fucking ACE, especially Hate Them. It's worth it just for Fucked Up And Ready To Die. Buy these two albums quick dammit! :kickass:

Man those two albums are fucking ACE, especially Hate Them. It's worth it just for Fucked Up And Ready To Die. Buy these two albums quick dammit! :kickass:

Just placed this order:

Darkthrone ~ Cult Is Alive
Darkthrone ~ Hate Them
Defender ~ They Came Over The High Pass
Fatal Embrace ~ Ultimate Aggression

I've been wanting to hear that Defender for a while now. Also curious about Fatal Embrace, and it was cheap.

That means you respect what was said.

thumbsup.gif

Just placed this order:

Darkthrone ~ Cult Is Alive
Darkthrone ~ Hate Them
Defender ~ They Came Over The High Pass
Fatal Embrace ~ Ultimate Aggression

I've been wanting to hear that Defender for a while now. Also curious about Fatal Embrace, and it was cheap.

Good man! :kickass:

You'll enjoy them for sure. Keep in mind one important, and often tensely discussed factor. Punk's influence on (true) Black Metal is strong and important. Be mindful of this when you hear The Cult Is Alive: it will make you appreciate Punk more (think Husker Du, Descendents, Black Flag, early Lemonheads, Sex Pistols etc, and NOT Epitaph branded Punk which is not real Punk anyway).

The more you listen to The Cult Is Alive, you more you will realise why Punk is such a natural part of Black Metal. Approach the album not from a "metal metal" perspective, but from a strongly urbanised perspective. This approach will make Darkthrone much more logical to people who aren't familiar with their music.