Dark fucking Throne!

You're fooling yourself then. If the word "Darkthrone" wasn't written on it you would be laughing at anyone bold enough to bring that shit to the attention of GMD

You're fooling yourself then. If the word "Darkthrone" wasn't written on it you would be laughing at anyone bold enough to bring that shit to the attention of GMD

The Cult Is Alvie is amazing. One of the best BLACK METAL ALBUMS IN THE PAST FEW YEARS! What Fenriz and Mr.Culto produced was something that was more daring then most of the bands we know.

I enjoy it as well.

Hubster I totally agree with you on the punk being important to black metal. The punk influence is easy to hear in much of Darkthrone's work far before The Cult Is Alive even and in many other BM bands.

hibernal! finally someone is smart around here!

I think on this board..... everyone are a bunch of sheeps.

"Let's all praise the same things and hate the same things..... and mainly praise norway and trendy last-fm bands because we haven't heard much of others country's black metal and underground stuff."

"Let's all praise the same things and hate the same things..... and mainly praise norway and trendy last-fm bands because we haven't heard much of others country's black metal and underground stuff."

You are calling darkthrone trendy? Would you like some cyanide with that comment?

Yes, there are many sheep on this board. However, I started this thread with the assumption I would get flamed for loving Darkthrone. And if you haven't noticed (which I doubt you have, as you haven't been here very long), I very rarely tend to agree with the majority around here. If anything, I've pissed people off by expressing the opposite. Your assumption, in the context of this thread, is quite incorrect.

*sigh* you don't give up, do you?

I like TCIA because I think it's a fucking good Black Metal record. Darkthrone or not, I think it's a great thrashy, punky and urbanised piece of work.

Does it break new ground? No. But no one could do it like Darkthrone does, and it's their attitude and approach to their work, and to Black Metal, that makes their work great. Not to be a prick, but I think you better wander back over to the Opeth forum mate, you're definitely more comfortable there.

TCIA is really not that special. It held my interest for about a week. I think I remember it getting a lot of attention becuase a) it's Darkthrone, and b) nothing else really good came out at the time.

I don't mind the album, it's good for what it is and I thought it was a nice change to their sound but it's not something I care for. I found that their previous few releases sounded rather stale and uninteresting so I'm glad they've taken a new direction.

We are the fist in the face of poseurs!

And enjoying newer Darkthrone for the rulage that it is, is obviously not 'sheepish', as 90% of black metal purists would tell you it sucks.

I love Darkthrone, my all time favorite black metal band, my user name is inspired by them in case you couldn't tell

My favourite album is probably A Blaze In The Northern Sky

I enjoy all their work, and I really liked The Cult Is Alive, brought an awesome new sound to them, and had their hole "fuck you! this is what we like!" attitude, I have a poster flag of the cover art hanging above my bed

Hail to the mighty Darkthrone

Talk about stupidity. "I don't like this album, so you claiming to like this album must be an attempt to convince yourself that you do in order to stave off the disappointment of having spent money on a subpar product." Come the fuck on, hibernal, I know you're not that utterly stupid.

Darkthrone was the second extreme metal band I ever got into, right after Burzum. I liked Hate Them when it came out and everybody was crapping on it. I still do. I liked The Cult Is Alive (albeit it's not one of my favorites) came out and people like you and Falco completely canned it and wrote scathing reviews about how puerile it is. Yeah, I'm definitely convincing myself that I like it. The Cult Is Alive is actually one of few albums that I listened to before I bought it, by the way.

As for KevenZ, evidently our resident Black Metal 14 Year Old Contrarian, just because people like Darkthrone doesn't mean they don't like bands from whatever country you're from. I most likely listen to at least a few bands from where you're from. Many people liking one of the biggest Black Metal bands of all time isn't exactly sheepish, it's just that, by some weird twisted logic, the biggest bands get the most attention. I believe that may be why they're referred to as the biggest bands, but I can't be completely sure on that.

Talk about stupidity. "I don't like this album, so you claiming to like this album must be an attempt to convince yourself that you do in order to stave off the disappointment of having spent money on a subpar product." Come the fuck on, hibernal, I know you're not that utterly stupid.

Darkthrone was the second extreme metal band I ever got into, right after Burzum. I liked Hate Them when it came out and everybody was crapping on it. I still do. I liked The Cult Is Alive (albeit it's not one of my favorites) came out and people like you and Falco completely canned it and wrote scathing reviews about how puerile it is. Yeah, I'm definitely convincing myself that I like it. The Cult Is Alive is actually one of few albums that I listened to before I bought it, by the way.

As for KevenZ, evidently our resident Black Metal 14 Year Old Contrarian, just because people like Darkthrone doesn't mean they don't like bands from whatever country you're from. I most likely listen to at least a few bands from where you're from. Many people liking one of the biggest Black Metal bands of all time isn't exactly sheepish, it's just that, by some weird twisted logic, the biggest bands get the most attention. I believe that may be why they're referred to as the biggest bands, but I can't be completely sure on that.

Sorry but that was not a good post at all.

Lets face it darkthrone fucking rule and I think that is all that needs to be said.

Some fair points but I still think not very many people would take notice if it wasn't Darkthrone. Especially not Hubster, the self-proclaimed black-metal purist - that's why I said I thought he was fooling himself, not because he liked it and I don't.

Well regardless, I doubt that Hubster dislikes the album, since Punk isn't all unfamiliar to him to begin with. It just so happens that for 99% of people, Darkthrone happens to be one of the first Black Metal bands that they're introduced to, for their historical placement, the (general) ease with which one can appreciate their material, and the fact that they're still going, and in a generally similar fashion to what they've been doing from their hey day, which can't be said for any of their peers.

I'm all for the "selfish" mentality of bands making music for themselves and not for any audience, or without any need of fulfilling fans' expectations. Why compromise your talent, creativity and potential to please a group of narrowminded people? That's why I will always have more respect for bands like Darkthrone over bands who play 'definition' black metal.