Death Metal bands tuned to open E

forestofmyths

Jan 11, 2005
Hey, I know this is off topic, but I'm stuck in a musical rutt. I only know so many bands in this tuning and I hate using any other tuning. Anyways, does Death play in Open E. I don't have any of their CDs so can anyone put a link to a stream or sample of their stuff if they are tuned to E, Id like to hear their stuff

I think Death used D or maybe C# same as Vader. You could tune down a little to Eb and play Deicide - they use that tuning on "Scars Of The Crucifix" and that's quite a fun album to play.

I don't think you'll find any death metal bands that are tuned to E - fucking hell I was going to play along to Motley Crue (G,G,Gs) the other day until I realised they were tuned to feckin' C# or something! :OMG:

opethkorn said:
Hey, I know this is off topic, but I'm stuck in a musical rutt. I only know so many bands in this tuning and I hate using any other tuning. Anyways, does Death play in Open E. I don't have any of their CDs so can anyone put a link to a stream or sample of their stuff if they are tuned to E, Id like to hear their stuff

I'm pretty sure the band Death tunes to E

Why do hate other tunings?

Damn. Are there any other metal bands that do use E. Maybe even some rock bands. I just got a Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion and I want to use it to its fullest.

These are some of the bands that I can play songs from in E

Metallica( of course)
Opeth
Stone Temple Pilots
Dimmu borgir
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath, Ozzy
Cannibal Corpse( even though they are in E minor)
Old Sepultura( just drop the e to d)
Slayer(Same as Cannibal Corpse)
Katatonia
Iced Earth ( Same as CC)

Tons of bands use E. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (on older stuff anyway), AC/DC, Anthrax (I think), Jethro Tull, Def Leppard, Motorhead. Most classic rock/metal bands probably.

Individual Thought Patterns should be your first purchase!...I you like the Death releases you should research more into the old school death metal era and check out those amazing albums. For more stuff back then in the vein of Death, check out Cynic, Pestilence, Atrocity, Atheist, Nocturnus, Cancer, Obituary, Massacre.

opethkorn said:
I want to a link or a stream to Death's material. Ive never heard them. Im desperate. :cry: :cry: :cry: :yell:

If you're that desperate buy the albums. :erk:
I wouldn't go for Individual Thought Patterns first though as you're unlikely to be playing along to that cunt within a few listens!
Buy Leprosy or Human first, they're a bit simpler although still utterly magnificent.

Nono, not Leprosy or Human...Symoblic, Symbolic, Symbolic.

And people, he said OPEN E, not standard tuning (EBGDAE).

Standard tuning and Open E are 2 totally different tunings.

anything not tuned in standard E or drop D usually doesn't get played by me o_O
since most stuff I play is tuned to that anyway, it makes it a hassle to retune every string for the few songs that aren't and then back again

it's all good though