Death Metal Bands

Opeth, take notes!!! - 89% [SIZE=-1]Written by UltraBoris on February 27th, 2003[/SIZE]

I was very surprised when I realised that this band was Swedish - none of the bullshit hardcore of The Haunted, or the geigh Iron Maiden melodies of In Flames, or any of the infinite ways of sucking that Opeth have discovered all on their own (Nobel Prize coming soon, guys - keep up the ... uhh... good work.)

Anyway - this is THRASH FUCKING METAL!!!! This is the worthy successor to Kreator's second album. The death-metal influence is there (I've always thought Pleasure was death-thrash, some of those riffs are not all that removed from Scream Bloody Gore), but overall, this is a monster of a fucking THRASHER. Just like that Kreator album, this tends to go very fast for very fast's sake for a while, before always coming in with a slightly slower, more memorable riff... for example, the opener goes along its business for about 2 minutes...

NOW IT'S TIME TO DIE!!!

Congratulations, someone has stapled your genitalia to your forehead, and borrowed your kidneys. A WINNER IS YOU!!! So bang your head as if up from the dead. The ending riff-set is not all that far removed from Sepultura meets Dark Angel (Time Does not Heal era). Circle of the Flesh is more Kreator worship, though a bit sloppy at times. Those that answered Vio-lence to the unposed question would not be that wrong either.

Then, the textbook three minute raging motherfucking thrash nightmare of THE LAST REMAINS. Holy motherfucker eating nails for breakfast - check out the under-verse riffs, and if you think it doesn't get any more impressive, check out the FOUR distinct parts of the middle break. Neck... need... vacation. All this in 2 minutes, 49 seconds. Sepultura were never quite this brutal, to the point, and motherfucking thrashtacularly thrashtacular. Imagine their usual above-midpace-efficient riff being sped up 25%, but without losing any of the brutality. Yes, it's possible. I think I played this song six times in a row at one point and didn't quite get enough.

Comatose is another highlight - nice opening riff, and then the combination of fast and slow parts works very well - the midpaced bludgeoning parts of the chorus, and then the bridge part with the riffage cranked up yet another notch - very excellent. The main riff is very much reminiscent of Calling in the Coroner, and the straightforward "the face smashing will continue until morale improves" riffing is also quite fucking nice.

Then, the second complete raging highlight of the album. Act of Lunacy - the intro riff is total Darkness Fucking Descends, but then we go through a good four or five major mindsets, each bringing to mind a new and different way of totally fucking over your neck muscles. SCHIZOPHRENIC FATE!!! That righ there is masterful Exodus worship, with a bit of Overkill thrown in too. Kids, if you're going to claim that you're thrash, the least you can do is obey your unquestioned masters.

The Haunted - take notes and die.

The more atmospheric (aside from one fucking middle passage) "Gates of Cirith Ungol" leads into the fast and furious "Hang 'em High", and then finally Traumatic Suffering. Suffering is cool. Huh, huh huh huh. I wish I could say something more intelligent, but apparently one or more of the riffs has shoved a largish spike through the centre of my brain, leaving me a drooling idiot. Oh well. I think what ended up reducing my ability to think was the complete and massive time change at around 2.55 or so - Hell, they even throw in a few seconds of dead silence to complete the effect. Song over? Nah dude, song ain't the fuck over. Here comes the in the ultimate way of killing the worthless fucking listener ... the monster riff at 3.36. Welcome to Demolition Hammer land, the theme park that does not fucking suck. Please make your stay short, fast, and more brutal than a monkey carrying a grenade launcher.

Not for the faint of Heart. Losers, go back to listening to the Haunted. This is real thrash for the people that are not afraid of too many fucking riffs.

UltraBoris = epic beyond words :)

he likes classic heavy methulz, so that's why + hatebreeder's better than most contemporary metal out there. sure beats the mid 90's hypocrisy albums all the guys who become retard refugees fellated in this thread.

AlexiLavigne.jpg