Defining "old school"

nafnikufesin

N.F.F.
Dec 6, 2001
In a Zone
amandababypics.tripod.com
This issue came up on the Pantera thread, and makes for an interesting question:

How would you define "old school"?

Do you define it based on when the band existed (ie. 80's)?

Do you define it based on their image (ie. hair)?

Do you define it based on the style of music they play (ie. verse-chorus-verse-chorus-guitar solo-chorus)?

Personally, I'd probably go with the last option, but I'd be interested to hear other's opinions.

You're not old school, you're just old.

nafnikufesin said:
This issue came up on the Pantera thread, and makes for an interesting question:

How would you define "old school"?

Do you define it based on when the band existed (ie. 80's)?

Do you define it based on their image (ie. hair)?

Do you define it based on the style of music they play (ie. verse-chorus-verse-chorus-guitar solo-chorus)?

Personally, I'd probably go with the last option, but I'd be interested to hear other's opinions.

This is kind of hard to define don't you think?
Kind of like what's Heavy Metal?
NuMETAL? Speed? Thrash?
The only thing that I would say about someone
that is "old School" is that they are "purists."

I'll tell you this, if you're talking about how you listen to "old school" stuff and the material you're referencing is circa 1995, you don't know what you're talking about!!!

To me it would be the last bit. Of course what one person considers "oldschool" would likely be different than another's opinion. I don't even think it has to be a certain formula to be oldschool, but have a certain groove and feel though I couldn't even try to explain it.

Bryant

old school = the sound of the bands in the early days of a genre

for example;

old school death metal = morbid angel, death etc
old school power metal = helloween etc
old school thrash = slayer, destruction, dark angel etc

how is that for an explanation? :)

Someone mentioned that old school couldn't be material from 1995?
Well... if there is a totally new genre that was invented in 1995 by some bands, I guess those bands can be titled old school now :)

Reactions: coronerox

for example;

That makes sense ... this is probably the best explanation and apllies to all types of music not just metal.

Svitjod said:

for example;

Someone mentioned that old school couldn't be material from 1995?
Well... if there is a totally new genre that was invented in 1995 by some bands, I guess those bands can be titled old school now :)

I couldn't have said it better :headbang:

Old school is supposed to be the early forms of metal : traditional , speed/trash (or those formed during the 70's early part of the 80's) . And also the new bands who performes these styles.

In my not so humble opinion, if you are talking about a new style of metal, then it would be the bands that play that style of music exactly as the bands from that style/era with no changes.

Since metal is just an offshoot of rock, the same rules apply. Bands can feel free to show their artistic freedom by bringing in new elements, but once you do...it's not old school. The time the bands came from is only good for a reference.

I have heard of bands that claim to play old school thrash, but as soon as the vocals start, it sounds nothing like the thrash from 85-95. Some are still good...just not oldschool.

mmm i disagree with the majority.

i would have to say "old school" refers to time of existence. this to me, really makes a distinction at about 1989. anything post 1989, isnt "old school"

people may play an old school style, but they arent "old school" bands.

Eternal_Decadent said:
Old school is supposed to be the early forms of metal : traditional , speed/trash (or those formed during the 70's early part of the 80's) . And also the new bands who performes these styles.
I agree with both you and Svitjod's explanation.

NP : Rawhead Rexx : Dragonheart -> new old school band ;)

misfit said:
mmm i disagree with the majority.

i would have to say "old school" refers to time of existence. this to me, really makes a distinction at about 1989. anything post 1989, isnt "old school"

people may play an old school style, but they arent "old school" bands.

Exactly..... I'm not sure if I would really do the cut off at 89, or 91 (it definitely is one of the 2 though), but basically, anything after that IS NOT "old school". There's a post on this board about what some of the best years in metal were (83, 84, 88, etc.), and to mean it seems that they're looking at what is the old school/classic era, and maybe that's the best way to define old school, is as the classic period. And no, 1995 isn't old school by a long shot...... unless you're about 16, and then everything is old.

I generally like old school bands, as in bands that have been playing since the 80's and have maintained a similar sound. But a case in point for a old school "sound" is Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society. He has old school connections by having played with Ozzy (since 1991, I believe?), but I'm not sure if he was around before that. However, listen to The Blessed Hellride, released in 2003, and it sounds old school, like it wouldn't sound out of place if it was released in the 80's.

nafnikufesin said:
I generally like old school bands, as in bands that have been playing since the 80's and have maintained a similar sound. But a case in point for a old school "sound" is Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society. He has old school connections by having played with Ozzy (since 1991, I believe?), but I'm not sure if he was around before that. However, listen to The Blessed Hellride, released in 2003, and it sounds old school, like it wouldn't sound out of place if it was released in the 80's.

Zakk Started Playing with Ozzy In like 87-88 on the "No rest for the Wicked"album :)

I think OLD SCHOOL is about a time when METAL of all shapes and sizes was about being as loud, rude, and aggressive as possible and not worrying about when the new ugly as all hell gothic pants, shoes, and shirts were going to be coming out at Hot Topic this month....Old School is skipping class to go smokin' in the boys room and hiding your S.O.D. album under the bed cause you knew your mom would throw it out. OLD SCHOOL meant caring more about the VOLUME LEVEL than how low you could tune your guitar!
Ted

tedvanfrehley said:
I think OLD SCHOOL is about a time when METAL of all shapes and sizes was about being as loud, rude, and aggressive as possible and not worrying about when the new ugly as all hell gothic pants, shoes, and shirts were going to be coming out at Hot Topic this month....Old School is skipping class to go smokin' in the boys room and hiding your S.O.D. album under the bed cause you knew your mom would throw it out. OLD SCHOOL meant caring more about the VOLUME LEVEL than how low you could tune your guitar!
Ted

Fukin A right dude I could have never said it better myself......Turn it up to 11