Definition Of OLD SKOOL

god_king

Ruler Of Life/Light
Aug 26, 2003
UK
www.geocities.com
What is old skool? Surely has to be bands that came before 1985 at least.

Why all these new-ish or succesful bands in the 90s were mentioned so often in this forum?

Ok this is not my forum but I'm just being curious.

Or are you reffering to retro 70's 80's style metal in general!?

god_king said:
What is old skool? Surely has to be bands that came before 1985 at least.

Why all these new-ish or succesful bands in the 90s were mentioned so often in this forum?

Ok this is not my forum but I'm just being curious.

Or are you reffering to retro 70's 80's style metal in general!?
God King,
When I think Old School I think of the "attitude" these bands from the 70's early 80's have/had....
I think it's more of an attitude. That's why there's a mention of these "newer" bands on this forum, Iced Earth, Shadows Fall, ect.

When I think of old school. It's junior school because this is the first school you go to.

Hated school, college and university life.

Attitude ok..... As long as it's true in style ( cloth, music. ) ie. Priest, Maiden, slayer, metallica or Rainbow.

Who the hell is Shadows Fall. I've heard of Shadow Keep.

Did you see the single cover of Iced Earth? Ripping off Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" as well as what's that Metallica snake about?

god_king said:
What is old skool?..
..Why all these new-ish or succesful bands in the 90s were mentioned so often in this forum?
I think using a term based on time is always going to get you in trouble. The reason so many 90's bands are mentioned on this forum is because there is most likely a huge age range of posters here, and many of those under 25 have a *TOTALLY* different idea of what may be considered "old school".. For me, that label will always refer to stuff like the first three Armored Saint albums, or Belladonna-era (and Turbin)Anthrax.. Metal Church's debut, and pre-MASTERS Metallica. I mean, even Testament's LEGACY is too recent for old school, IMO.

god_king said:
When I think of old school. It's junior school because this is the first school you go to.

Hated school, college and university life.

Attitude ok..... As long as it's true in style ( cloth, music. ) ie. Priest, Maiden, slayer, metallica or Rainbow.

Who the hell is Shadows Fall. I've heard of Shadow Keep.

Did you see the single cover of Iced Earth? Ripping off Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" as well as what's that Metallica snake about?
Shadows Fall, a band that will "break" within the next couple years.
they have metal, hard core, thrash influences...
Great band. You might want to check them out.
Yeah, I will be getting the Iced Earth single next week & saw the cover for the single about two months ago. I thought the same. It's a rip off.
I think someone on this board put a different spin on it, something about it's more of a "tribute" to Maiden. Regardless, of which it is, if I were in a band I wouldn't do something like that... That's just me. Now if it were a Weird Al disc, well that's expected...