Votes: 13 27.7%
  • It doesn't really matter to me

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters

Minion520

Minion
Jan 29, 2004
Bergen County, N.J.
Hopefully this hasn't been done before or in a long time, but do you think it would have been cooler/better/greater/worse/stupid/whatever the fuck u want...if Deliverance and Damnation came in a double cd case and were released on the same date, so you could listen to them back to back.

Before Damnation came out I was wishing they were a double, but now I'm glad Damnation was given proper separation from Deliverance and the rest of the catalogue. It's nice to look at it as it's own unique little thing from all else Opeth has done.

hmmm i think it would have been cool to have it as a 2CD set, but yeah. it IS different and should be treated as something out there that they did, apart from their other work

it was cool at the time of release...to have 2 different Opeth albums being released one after the other...usually one must wait a year or 2 to hear new material from a band.

but looking at it from a current standpoint, it wouldnt matter to me either way.

I'm one of those who think that they should have been released together as a whole unit because they were meant to be one.

Otherwise, I would have liked them recorded in different sessions and, you know, we've talked about this some time...

B Crouch said:
It should have been a double. Are they more interested in making money?

Certainly not. Quite the opposite, actually -- they were only paid to do 1 album. Take a gander at the session diary for Deliverance over at the official Opeth site(or maybe it's in the biography, not sure).

I like it a lot as two separate albums. A main reason of this is as a double-album it wouldn't gel if disc one was Deliverance and disc two was Damnation. Listening to them back to back doesn't feel cohesive to me (aside from the fact that Opeth in general feels cohesive if you know what I mean by this). So, for a succesful double disc you would have to intersperse the songs and mesh the albums together. And this is where it doesn't work. Damnation's predominantly clean nature obviously separates it from other Opeth albums, and its quiet, sad, reflective feeling creates a tension, drama, and reconciliation unique to it. Benighted, Credence, Harvest all work because they are unique within the album. If every other song were clean and a little more straightforward compositionally it would be a far less interesting listen for both the Damnation and Deliverance songs.

I said that it dosen't really matter. However they were intended at one point to be a double album. I think if I were in a situation where I was showing someone new to the band what they are about. It would be neat to whip out a single album where you have all these mellow songs, and on the other hand just as much heavy material in one album. The more I think about it a ying yang album would have been a good thing.