Deliverance Delivers

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
Not one weak song (insert period here)

For those of you who want Opeth to sound like their previous cds, grow the fuck up. Why should they continue to create songs that sound like their other music? There is no reason. They continue to grow in both musicianship and in songwriting.

I cannot pick a favorite song on this entire cd. The only problem with it is this, I wish there was more time to it.

I think this is calling out for a flame war... but yeah I agree, I don't find there to be a weak song on the whole CD, I love them all. Note: In advance, I'm not telling anyone to grow the fuck up because I love their old material, Orchid in particular more than anything, but I can digest ALL their material and enjoy it.

You misunderstand me. I love their old material too. But what really gets me are complaints that it doesn't sound like their previous material. Of course not! Why should it? It would be different if they sold out to the music industry, but they have not. This is creative writing of their own choosing. So, if one doesn't like Deliverence because it doesn't sound like MAYH, or Still Life, etc, too bad, it shouldn't. They are progressing. As one of my previous posts states...this cd is a culmination of all of their previous cds. I can hear elements of all of them, especially BWP, MAYH, and SL.

I'll agree with that, every song on Deliverance is incredible and I love all their material as well. I think that's another thing that makes Opeth so good - the fact that they've changed their style slightly over each album without selling out or anything.

Yeah I understand now, thanks for clearing it up. What I would really like is a CD that brings back some Orchid style riffing, because I think that was some of the most imaginative dual melody guitaring I've heard in my life and it really shows that the material was a culmination of about a decade of demoing (probably explaining why its all so disjointed and chaotic).

That's just a personal wish I have and it probably won't come true, but I don't really care as long as Opeth keep putting out quality material like Deliverance.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
I think this is calling out for a flame war... but yeah I agree, I don't find there to be a weak song on the whole CD, I love them all. Note: In advance, I'm not telling anyone to grow the fuck up because I love their old material, Orchid in particular more than anything, but I can digest ALL their material and enjoy it.

Re 'Weak songs':

'Wreath' still sucks major ass in my opionion (I'm still waiting for it to get 'better' in my ears, but it's not happening) and 'Deliverance' also (though to a much lesser extent).

That said, The album as a whole STILL rocks my proverbial socks, and is one of Opeths better relesases (yet again, IMHO).

I just don't like the jarring contrast I get between the first 2 songs and the last 4 songs, but I had a similar problem with people insisting that Black Rose Immortal is by rights a single song... hell it only took me like 3-4 years to finally be able to 'hear' that song the right way... so ya never know, perhaps the cohesion on deliverance will dawn upon me someday... :D

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
You misunderstand me. I love their old material too. But what really gets me are complaints that it doesn't sound like their previous material. Of course not! Why should it? It would be different if they sold out to the music industry, but they have not. This is creative writing of their own choosing. So, if one doesn't like Deliverence because it doesn't sound like MAYH, or Still Life, etc, too bad, it shouldn't. They are progressing. As one of my previous posts states...this cd is a culmination of all of their previous cds. I can hear elements of all of them, especially BWP, MAYH, and SL.

Couldn't agree more.

Re 'Weak songs':

'Wreath' still sucks major ass in my opionion (I'm still waiting for it to get 'better' in my ears, but it's not happening) and 'Deliverance' also (though to a much lesser extent).

I used to think that... but Wreath REALLY grew on me... it's amazing... one day while I was walking home from school... it just hit me. Bloody excellent ^_^

Wreath rules, I loved it the first time I heard it....
My only problem with the cd is the endless riffing at the end of the title track. One the whole, I agree that it does incorporate a lot of the older styles together. Deliverance really reminds me of advent, even the end.

Originally posted by DrX
Wreath rules, I loved it the first time I heard it....
My only problem with the cd is the endless riffing at the end of the title track. One the whole, I agree that it does incorporate a lot of the older styles together. Deliverance really reminds me of advent, even the end.
I love that "endless riffing" bit, they played Deliverance last night in London.
It rocked

Oh yeah! The last segment of the title track makes the song. That so-called "endless riffing" rocks. The drums, the riff, the background guitar melody...it lifts my spirits, indeed.

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
And if it pisses people off that I say what I say, too fucking bad. I am not here to make friends. I am here because Opeth kicks fucking ass.

So...you're here at a forum where people socialize, but not to make friends?

You have taken what I said out of context, or I haven't explained myself fully.

I am here and will comment about Opeth and their music. If what I say pisses people off, so be it. Making friends is not my priority, but that doesn't mean I can't or won't converse with people on this board, I do.

BLOODY HELL!!!

it FINALLY came in the post, and i´ve got two exams tomorrow! I´ll either flunk because the fascination with the cd will overcome my studies, or i´ll be humming (growling hahaha) the tunes in the exam and annoy the shit out of everyone else :lol:

ooopsie, i should be studying *runs along*

JCP - I agree with you, but I also realize that people WILL complain about Opeth not sounding like their older stuff, because it's the older stuff that sounds better to their ears. We've had this arguement a million times on this forum - it's all about personal preference and taste.